How many cans?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by ferball, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ferball

ferball New Member

I was planning to repaint my bike with what ever I could find in the garage/shed, but my wife wants has some thing against the smurf blue and puke yellow that I found so I was told to go buy some paint. How many cans does it usually take to do a bike? I am planning on trying out that Rustoleum Hammered stuff.

2. Elmo

Elmo New Member

Two should do a regular bike. It took two and about two thirds of another one to paint my loooong bike.

3. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

a cruiser frame and fork takes about 2 cans. 2 fenders and a chainguard will take 1 and a half.

i usually buy at least 2 cans more than i need. that way mistakes, touch-ups, and little brackets or whatever else you aren't thinking of is covered.

4. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

It also depends on how many coats you plan to apply. I used two twelve ounce cans of primer, six, eleven ounce cans of color coat (two colors), three ten ounce cans of clear. I did no less than five coats of color and clear and a couple of primer.
    About $70.00 for paint, total.
    That's for the frame, fenders, fuel tank, chain guards, two of them, headlight housing and front fork.
    Tom

5. ferball

ferball New Member

I am a one coat kinda guy, I know my work is not pretty, but I like that "rustic" appearance. If my welds were neater and the frame not all rusted and pitted I might take my time and do it right, but it is getting warm and this is gonna be my daily driver, so I just want to get it on the road, so I am planing just to rough up the existing paint and scuff off the rust then spray away. Plus I was only planning on spending 20 bucks on paint, the most expensive part of this project so far.

6. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Then two cans will do ya :)
    Tom

7. ferball

ferball New Member

Keeping with the recycled theme of my build, I ended up just stealing a couple of cans of leftover paint from my dad's garage. Can and a half of silver paint. I had another can and a half of yellow just in case, I still may spray it with some yellow to really give it the ghetto look. But the a can and a half covered every thing, not super thick but looks good enough for me.

I also tried one of those Gator Striping Wheels from Lowes to remove the paint. It worked awesome, made a quick job of cleaning off the metal, but it won't make it through two jobs, rough edges tear it up pretty kick.

8. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Ferball,
    Send us some photos of the finished job. Actually, yellow and silver doesn't sound all that bad. When I was a kid I saved some bucks and had the seats in a 34 Ford roadster done in yellow and purple naugahyde. I thought it looked cool but my dad said it looked like an Easter egg :)
    Tom

9. ferball

ferball New Member

Pics will definetly be posted Monday.

10. matthurd

matthurd New Member

forks in yellow, front of the frame in silver, tone into a yellow on the back side? or something similar.

would look good and work with what you have, just my 2 cents...

11. mixkwikis1st

mixkwikis1st New Member

Hey there Ferball, did you paint er up yet? I just joined this forum today while searching for info. Your thread caught my eye because I've devoted the last 4 yrs to aerosol painting. I had to mix up a case of Rustoleum hammered spray paint and found it to be a very heavy pigment and hard to mix. Long story short, I patented a sawsall accessory for mixing spray paint and it really makes the paint job a lot easier and better quality too. You end up using less paint because of the great pigment blend. I'm not trying to sell my tools on this site so I wont insert a link, but if you want to know more about it feel free to email me. Good luck, kb

Attached Files: