Honda/HS142 carb info

GoldenMotor.com

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
Here is some helpful info on the carbs. The Honda and HS142 are basically the same . The pilot screw setting [according to honda] is 1 and 1/8 turns.The pilot jet is vulnerable to clogs . Honda recommends cleaning all jets with compressed air. When replacing the pilot jet be sure to place a drop of oil on the o ring . the two manifold gaskets [according to honda] should not be
re-used. The pilot jet cleaning was key for me

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The Honda carb has no provision for throttle control unless you get the Staton kit or make your own spring-loaded one. Most people with GXH50s get Huasheng or Titan carb from what I've read here. Those carbs also have a slightly larger jet than Hondas, as Quenton and some other people have said. I took apart a Honda carb and noticed same.

Also, some of those HS carbs are outright lemons. I have one in my toolbox. My original Huasheng carb worked for a week and now refuses to work properly whatsoever. I have rebuilt it a dozen times and it still don't work. I had to replace it and now motor runs okay. My brother's HS carb took a half dozen rebuilds before it worked right on his Honda. Some of them carbs are just junk.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes they certainly can be......and they clog if you even look at em the wrong way, seriously. Compressed air seems to be their best friend for sure! Always use a good quality inline filter.....and even then, it's sometimes not enough.

dnut

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
Re: Honda/HS142 carb info---main nozzel--main jet

Question to the carb whiz kids. I have 3 hs carbs and 1 honda unused carb. Some of Ya'll [yeh I'm suthern:)] can answer this better than I can. Will the main nozzel and main jet from the hs carb fit the honda carb. Some say the jet is larger on the hs.What all should be swapped from one carb [HS] to another[Honda] the throttle cable hook up I might be able to handle. Should I leave well enough alone and stay with the tempermental HS carb:-||

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
Yes sir, you can replace the Honda main jet with the HS jet. It's a quick R&R. If you insist on keeping the stock Honda carb you also have that governor junk to disable, as you prolly know already. Of course you can always just replace or mod the jet with a proper one tailored to your motor, like what we with these should be doing. These carbs are anything but consistent between builds from what I've seen.

As always, MaBs take some tinkering, eventually ya shake the bugs out lol

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Bill,

I'm currently running the Stock Honda Carb on my Shift Kit bike and have been reasonably happy with it but it still has its Quirks. I tried some experiments with drilling out the main jet last summer and had less than stellar results. I was running the stock air filter at the time and thinking my motor was running to lean. The stock carb came with a #55 Main Jet which is an opening of .0217 in. which equates to a #75 wire drill @ .0210 in. The next size larger wire drill I had was a #74 @ .0225 in. and then a #73 drill @ .0240 in. I can't say that I noticed any performance increase at all and my gas mileage went from 178mpg with the stock setup, to 150mpg with the #74 @ .0225 in., and 120mpg with the #73 @ .0240 in., and at the larger opening I was running way rich. Needless to say I went back to the Stock #55 Main Jet. In Oct. I made some changes to my set up. I changed the primary reduction unit from the Type III Gearbox to the 4G for Honda Belt Drive and replaced the Stock Air Filter with SBP's K&N Style Filter. Two things happened with these changes. First I started having to run the motor with the choke half on, and my mileage went up into the middle 190's mpg. I've been running this way now for 4 months and started thinking that I probably should switch to the drilled out jet again. I contacted Quenton Gunther and he shared some information with me about jet size on the HS Carb. and some dyno comparisons that he has done between the HS Carb which comes stock with a Main Jet opening of .0240 in.and the Stock Honda Carb. with the jet drilled out to a #73 drill to .0240 in. He indicated that the HS Carb out performed the modified Honda Carb. An extra MPH with the HS Carb. Exactly what all this means I don't know, But I've been thinking about buying a HS carb and trying it out. The only reason I haven't is I really don't like the fact that the throttle cable has to make a really tight 180 degree bend to hook to the Carb. Would you be interested in selling me one of your extra HS Carbs?

As for your questions about changing out other parts. You might try contacting Sean at Affordable Go Karts. http://affordablegokarts.com/ He/they have experience modifying Stock Honda Carbs for the larger Honda GX160 & GX200 motors. And I seem to remember that one of the changes they make is to also change out the Nozzle as well as the main jet. They have recently gotten into motorized bikes and are said to be working on some performance products for both the Honda/Clone motor as well as products for the HF 79cc motor.

ocscully

Last edited:

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
Thanks Ocscully. I'm running the honda with one of my hs carbs. The throttle cable route is not really all that bad and I have not had any problems with it. I ordered some of those compression springs you found and looking forward to a clutch engagement that is higher rpm than the stock grubee clutch. It will be nice to actually start the engine and maintain the idle without the jumping or the engine dying. Right now I'm very pleased with the honda,shift kit and the sturmey archer 3 speed. cruise speed now is 27mph

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
If you replace the stock bushing and get a real oilite one, that will greatly cut down on the grabbiness at idle, too. Mine lightly grabs with the good bushing as opposed to a hard grab and being unstartable off stand with the stock one.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi All,

Can someone PLEASE explain a little bit about the two male attachment ends that go to the gas lines on the Carb. ?

After a year of very modest use, my lines frayed off by the rubber grommet with the 2 holes that go into the gas tank. (I have the grubee 4gt rack, converted over to the BMP FD btw)

So there is:
a. a black line with a filter in the tank
b. a clear line that I have placed in the male end of the carb with the primer bubble.

Questions please:

a. Did I do the hoses correctly?
(I think I did it wrong.)

b. Does it matter where the in tank filter goes?
(I'm thinking it goes where it originally did, towards the back of the tank, which angles down when the roller is on the tire)

c. Any thoughts on an external gas filter and where to get it?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

:)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi All,

Can someone PLEASE explain a little bit about the two male attachment ends that go to the gas lines on the Carb. ?

After a year of very modest use, my lines frayed off by the rubber grommet with the 2 holes that go into the gas tank. (I have the grubee 4gt rack, converted over to the BMP FD btw)

So there is:
a. a black line with a filter in the tank
b. a clear line that I have placed in the male end of the carb with the primer bubble.

Questions please:

a. Did I do the hoses correctly?
(I think I did it wrong.)

b. Does it matter where the in tank filter goes?
(I'm thinking it goes where it originally did, towards the back of the tank, which angles down when the roller is on the tire)

c. Any thoughts on an external gas filter and where to get it?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

2nd request...

Can anyone please help?

Or be candid with me and kindly post a link that I overlooked on the subject.

Thanks guys.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
2nd request...

Can anyone please help?

Or be candid with me and kindly post a link that I overlooked on the subject.

Thanks guys.

The carb on your rack mount kit is a diaphragm pumper type
because it has to pull fuel up from the gas tank.

This thread is about the gravity fed butterfly valve float bowl type carb
that comes on the Honda and Huasheng 50

I don't think any of us have any experience with that carb except
ocscully who installed a rack mount Grubee if I remember correctly.
The Grubee rear mount kits are not very popular.

Maybe you should start another thread about your carb instead of
posting here?
My Robin Subaru has a similar carb to yours.
One line is the gas intake and the other is the return line to the tank.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
This is the only photo I could find of the install we did on Don's Fuji 29 that shows the tank and carb, maybe it will help with your questions?
Hi MBR and Oscully,

Thank you guys for your response.

The pic didn't really help much.

I think I may have answered my own question.

(Let me ask again to double check.)

Does the gas line with the filter in the tank go in line with the primer pump?
(I'd think its a yes.) Yes, I do feel stupid right about now. :)

If yes, Ive driven about 11 hours on the engine with the lines backwards.
(the gas seems very clean though.)

I hope I didnt screw anything up.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The clear line is fuel into the carb which should have a filter on it
in the tank.

The black line is the fuel return line.

Hi MBR and Oscully,

Thank you guys for your response.

The pic didn't really help much.

I think I may have answered my own question.

(Let me ask again to double check.)

Does the gas line with the filter in the tank go in line with the primer pump?
(I'd think its a yes.) Yes, I do feel stupid right about now. :)

If yes, Ive driven about 11 hours on the engine with the lines backwards.
(the gas seems very clean though.)

I hope I didnt screw anything up.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Hey guys Im gonna throw this in here rather that start a thread. My 49cc HS always ran ok but its idle was iffy some times, always seemed rich at idle and the mixture would vary greatly, constant adjustment, and wanted to die hot sometimes. Finally it began to expell fuel from the vent tube. A pull down found the float was too wide for the posts where the hinge pin goes through, causing the float to be "sticky" in movement. I imagine at high speed the vibes or fuel demand caused it to work ok, but it idle the fuel was probably in constat overflow to an extent. Any way trimmed the float til it flopped freely and it now runs like it should will idle all day if you want and is smooth for the first time now.