Hi, New Biker here with Questions on a Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Montezumasviper

Oct 15, 2009
Lawrence KS
Hey guys, I've been thinking about doing a gas engine for my bike for quite some time. I have some questions.

My Questions
Will this new frame work / is it the best solution considering i'm already changing the frame?
(I do not want to go with a cruiser style, if possible)

Which kit is best or close to best considering my options? I'm not going to fret about a few dollars, just as long as its under $200 total.

Is a slant engine preferable? (torque is preferable to me)
Should I go with multi speed engine? Or perhaps even a dual start?

The bike I have a 2006 Giant Rincon but I'm almost positive that frame won't work so I'm going to switch it out to a standard frame

I'm looking at these kits, honestly I don't care which one I get (but the multi speed interests me) I just want to know what you think will work the best.
Since I can't list links, the engines are listed at (kings motor bikes . com) and (the la shop . com)

Black Flying Horse 66cc/80cc Bicycle Engine Kits EPA Certified

Grubee SkyHawk 66/80cc Angle Fire Bike Engine Kit EPA Certified

Grubee SkyHawk 66/80cc Bicycle Engine Kit EPA Certified

80cc 3 Speed Dual Brake Gas Bicycle Motor Kit

80cc Black Engine Dual Brake Gas Bicycle Motor Kit

80cc Dual Start 3 Speed Dual Brake Gas Bicycle Motor Kit

Also, jet engines are fine as well

Last edited:

Montezumasviper

Oct 15, 2009
Lawrence KS
Thanks very much in advance. I'm unfamiliar with this territory so if you have any other suggestions of kits, feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The Giant may work - but they're known to have... well "giant" Dtubes and this may make installation difficult. If you have the room then it can be done - pics would help us ;)

I've been considering a pull start modification myself so I can start my bike in the mornin' to warm up without pedaling halfway across the yard heh - but they might compound installation problems as your pedalcrank might hit the recoil housing. *shrug* not a huge deal - you could get a different crank arm or remove the recoil and put a plain cover on it, or you could get a regular pedal start and upgrade to recoil later, they're only $20.

Although Grubee kits tend to have slightly better parts included with the kit, it's far more important to use a reputable dealer than the name stuck on these (mostly) identical engines. I would heartily recommend;

ThatsDax: bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor

Spooky Tooth: Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Home

BikeBerry: Bicycle Engine Kit - Covert any Bicycle to a Motorised Moped. 150 MPG!! Wholesale Beach Cruisers, Chopper, Mountain, Road, Tandem and BMX Freestyle Bicycles. - BikeBerry.com

Could you post a link to the last one you mentioned? The "80cc Dual Start 3 Speed Dual Brake Gas Bicycle Motor Kit"? That really sounds like a complete bike and not just an engine kit...

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Welcome montezuma! Good luck on your build, read alot of threads and go by what folks with experience say. To me thats the best advice you can get, you cant buy that kind of advice its priceless. Ive been reading these threads for a year and a half and Im still not sure which gear box is the best yet its so complicated with the choices and qualty plus which dealer........blah blah blah

Last edited:

Montezumasviper

Oct 15, 2009
Lawrence KS

I would like to stay with this frame if its at all possible, so If I can use a 80cc engine thats preferable. Im not sure i'll even be able to mount a 49cc on it though. I would want like to find one with the smallest footprint possible.

Also to answer your question. The 3 speed engine is a 80CC engine with a centrifugal clutch for three separate speeds. You can find it here 80cc 3 Speed Motorized Gas Bicycle Engine Kit*::*Bicycle Motor*::*TheLaShop

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
K - first off it looks like that "3 speed" only refers to having a shifter lever for an existing 3 speed rear hub (like on a cruiser bike) and has nothing to do with engine gearing... I don't like how that site worded it to sound like the engine itself has gearing, it isn't a centrifugal it's a "friction plate/dry" same as the rest... so there'd be no advantage to havin' that one on yer 21 speed bike :(

I'd skip them and go w/Dax, such "clever wording" in advertisements kinda pisses me off tbh.

Secondly... there's no real way to mount an in frame kit on that bike in particular as there's simply no room at all, my build has a similar frame style for the top tube at least and even though it has a LOT more room than yours it was a very tight squeeze.

I'd say you have a coupla options. You could look into rack mount engines or electrics (both quite costly, starts at about $400), you could get a bike better suited for an in frame kit - and/or you could find a donor frame and swap out the better components from the Giant, which is prolly the cheapest route.

I know they're crappy, but many Wallmart bikes actually have really nice frames (look at the welds to judge quality) but they cut corners to lower the prices by bolting on the shoddiest mechanicals possible. You could get one and swap out all the really nice bits from your Giant. I'd go with that method if you can't find another bike/concerned about yer pennies.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all is not lost - just a minor setback is all. Keep us posted and good luck in yer quest :D

Edit: lol, I just re-read yer OP sorry man :p - sounds like you've the right idea after all! Ya got any pics of the other frame?

This is the bike I started with and although I had quite a bit more room, it still wasn't enough and was a bit of a nightmare lol (the "dropped" top tube is sneaky) so I'd advise a standard (preferably steel) V frame for a first build;

Attachments

Last edited: