hey newby here

GoldenMotor.com

wolf21432

Dec 23, 2010
CT
hi I'm 17 almost 18 and been trying to figure this all out. i still have no idea what bike i want use. i know i want to have in mounted in-frame. i plan on putting a shift kit on it when sick bike parts gets it in stock so it has to be a mountain bike. and I'm gonna use the ZB-80 motor kit from pirate cycles. btw i plan on doing all this for around $600 so im looking for a bike thats about $150 or so. any suggestions?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum wolf21432, glad you joined us.

You can check out craigslist. I personally have better luck at auctions. I was able to score my Specialized Rockhopper for $20 at a auction.

Also check out some bike shops, the new 2011 models are coming in and many of them will drop the price on there old inventory.

wolf21432

Dec 23, 2010
CT
thank u. do u think the engine i want is a good one? or would u recommend something else. this will be ridden almost daily.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Welcome to the fun!

$600 is a good figure to play with, that way you may have money left over. I'm not familiar with Pirate's motors, but it is most likely the standard variety Chinese one you can get from anyone. The most important thing when buying a motor from anyone is their customer service and/or any type of warranty, but as far as Pirate Cycle goes, you should be good there.

$150 bike is easy to find on Ebay too. I got a cruiser for $136 delivered from a place that deals strictly with Greenlines and it's been a good bike. Another alternative is to buy just the frame and put it together yourself choosing which wheels you want instead of the cheapo's that usually come on cheaper bikes.

Hope this helps.

.wee.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Welcome to the forum, as you see there are many helpful people and lots of information. I see you mentioned wanting a Shift Kit. Let me give you some advice which we try and impart on all "new" customers. Get your engine kit and install it per the instructions, if you get any, and get it running correctly and work out all the bugs. Then if you still want a Shift Kit then go for it. For a "newb" it is a lot to ask to install your first engine and a Shift Kit. Just too many variables to play with all at once. Good luck and if you need anything just ask.