hey! from ohio... and uuhhhh WV too!

GoldenMotor.com

acousticrawk

Mar 19, 2011
Ohio
well i spend half a year in WV and half a year in ohio...

i totally stumbeled onto this by total accident today. i was watching top gear and researching the minsk motorcycle hammond rides in vietnam (s12e08) and in looking up minsk i found motovelo (old russian motorcycle maker) and motovelo.us, then this site.

all i can say is... awesome.

ive built tons of fixies, flip flops, sigle speeds, double speeds, ect...

this motorized (really its an engine) bicycle thing is great. just what i was looking for. something to save me on gas on short commutes, and WAY cheaper than even a turdy motorcycle.

anyways, my name is levi and i have several bikes i could put an engine in... with that said, id like to start with a kit.

whos kit is the best bang for the buck? also... SPEED! you guys race too??

i have so much to learn! haha.

also, let it be know... i need another hobby like i need a herpies outbreak on my face... but this is just to cool to pass up!

for what its worth.. im about 6'1" 200lbs

thanks guys!

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Hey Levi welcome to the forum I am in Ohio also... Sorry you missed Dadd Katzs' bike show here in Dayton today. I replied to your other post in the thread about it and did post a few pics of some of the bikes HERE

Personal opinion on a motor is to go with the Grubee Skyhawk GT5 with a CNS1 carb. They are a little more expensive than some of the cheaper kits but well worth the money as the take a little more care finishing them out than the other brands do.

acousticrawk

Mar 19, 2011
Ohio
right! i know, i cant believe i joined a day late. im in the middletown area, though all of my crap is in storage in springfield. i frequent the dayton/cincy/spfld areas a lot. what are the law for motorized bicycles here? i saw you said you ride 25 miles today!?

do you have a link to that kit??

think i may troll craigslist for a fun bike to motorize.

is this it?
http://www.piratecycles1.com/grgt5afaalfi.html

acousticrawk

Mar 19, 2011
Ohio
right on, im just in trenton ohio, but i frequent the dayton, springfield and columbus area, and marion isnt to far north of cbus.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Yes that is the engine and Pirate Cycles is a reputable company the only thing I dont like about their service is that they only place orders via the internet and they do not list a contact phone number on their site.

I personally prefer Piston Bikes.com... They are a little more expensive but I have dealt with Robert there for quite a while and the personal service and knowledge helps out alot more than the few dollars difference.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum; you're in good company. I would agree that Pirate is a top notch outfit from my own experience. Justin always answers my email inquiries quickly. Good to hear accolades for Piston and Grubee.
SB