Help with handlebars

GoldenMotor.com

mikevkid

Mar 21, 2012
California
Do you guys have any tips/ tricks for drilling a hole in the handlebars??? My last build was halfway finished when I got it so I didn't have to worry about it before, but now it has come back to haunt me. Any help is appreciated :)

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl
when drilling into metal always find a "punch" which is a spike that dents the metal so that your drill bit has a starting place. set the sharp end of anything really where the hole needs to be. Then whach the other end of the "punch(any pointy solid metal thing)". find the spot you want your hole for the throttle grib to be. now whach the punch so that there is a visible dent in the metal. you can now drill the hole without the bit jumping all ovet the place. it will stay in the spot your gouge is
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&tok=1OUmZqtzAgVsDe1dMbImVg&cp=9&gs_id=y&xhr=t&q=center+punch&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1249&bih=595&wrapid=tljp1349073553158016&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=kzppUN6iB5D-8ASbnYG4Ag

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The center punch idea is probably the easiest and best but they also make drill bits with a 'starting tip'. They actually have a very sharp point below the flutes where the actual drilling and metal removal takes place. The tip, or point will bite in when you apply pressure to it with the drill motor that you're using thereby keeping the drill where you want/need it. Ask for 'Self Starting' drill bits.

If you opt for the center punch method use care and don't beat it to death. A sharp punch will make a starting point for a drill bit with just a good "whack" as Savage said. No need for heavy hammering. :)

Tom

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
DON'T!

Are you talking about securing the twist grip?

never drilled and never had any problems with it loose-

Did I knock off some little plastic part on it long ago? Are they still on there like that?

It's overkill-

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Whenever I used the cheap plastic throttle, I'd drill a small hole in the bars where the nub would go......then drill through the plastic housing of the throttle (where the alignment nub is) and drive a sheet metal screw through the housing into the hole in the bars. Done deal....throttle stays put.

Did I mention that I ride at WOT alot? Thus the reason for securing the cheapo plastic junk throttle.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Whenever I used the cheap plastic throttle, I'd drill a small hole in the bars where the nub would go......then drill through the plastic housing of the throttle (where the alignment nub is) and drive a sheet metal screw through the housing into the hole in the bars. Done deal....throttle stays put.

Did I mention that I ride at WOT alot? Thus the reason for securing the cheapo plastic junk throttle.
I put an old exhaust stud through mine. works good.