Help!!!!!! Confused!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
I want to motorize a mountain bike to use for riding the trails around my town, and transportation. Something with front suspensionand disc brakes would be awesome. I have had specialized bikes in the past for $1800 and I'm definitely not looking to spend that much. I want to spend about 300 or so, I found one at walmart for 200 but it's walmart and from what I hear on this site walmart bikes seem to be cheap but, then I hear good things too. Any suggestions on any good bikes in that price range? Oh and I don't want the cruiser style I need something that will hold up in the woods.:-||

Steomi

Mar 23, 2011
Waukesha, WI
Almost any bike will work if you want it to. Just check the weldings and make sure they are good. Most bikes in the 400 or less range are going to be your standard frames. I always check Craigslist and rummages, also thrift stores. If you are looking for a steel frame just carry a small magnet on you. Like the ones on the back of a refrigerator magnet and just hold it up to the bike and if it sticks you found steel. I do not remember the last time I bought new lol. Also when you add your motor (which ever one you decide) I would suggest adding some type of added support never know what you may hit in the woods lol. (my cheap way) You can usually find a chunk of steel in an "L" shape, also you can get the steel beam at any hardware store just have them cut it or you can cut it with a hacksaw, measure the underside of the engine where you want it. Then just drill two holes for a "U" bolt and snug it up under the engine on the seat post. (expensive way) make a cage for your motor lol depends on what you mean by "something that will hold up in the woods"
hope this helps

Steomi

Mar 23, 2011
Waukesha, WI
I would measure the inside frame make sure the motor will fit this is the thread for it: http://motorbicycling.com/f30/engine-template-motorized-bicycle-25074.html

I see there are a few threads on walmart bikes and a few bikes made with them. if you want it get it. just make sure on the measurements and i would see if anyone has put a motor on one and ask them about the mounting but it looks pretty standard. I am a novice on these myself and usually get a donated bike frame (someone is always upgrading their bikes and getting new) or find something for around 20.00 - 50.00. If you want something nicer you can always search out on CL for a decent GT, Trek, Specialized, or other known names. I know it is an exciting thing and I am always on a search for something. Its like being a kid on their birthday and getting exactly what you wanted.

Tmoney

Apr 28, 2011
california
If you live out in the woods or venture out there on your bike there is a bike that is a V frame with full suspension that could fit your engine. It's got the suspension spring mounted in the area that connects the seat to the frame in the rear. I thought about switching to a bike like that to reduce the vibration of my engine.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you live out in the woods or venture out there on your bike there is a bike that is a V frame with full suspension that could fit your engine. It's got the suspension spring mounted in the area that connects the seat to the frame in the rear. I thought about switching to a bike like that to reduce the vibration of my engine.
If the OP is talking about a 2 stroke in-frame engine, a full suspension bike is not a good choice. Front suspension fork is okay but the rear wheel can't move or you'll have chain tension problems. In addition a custom installation for a first bike can be a frustrating task. Keep your first one simple and after you've mastered the basics then consider something more exotic. Any 'V' frame mountain bike should lend itself well for what you're looking for.
Tom

Pookster1126

Apr 30, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for all of the info. everyone!!! My wife ended up bringing home the Wally World bike for me so, in a way she made my decision for me which is great because it's my first build, I want to get the hang of motorizing first and then build a custom MASTERPIECE!!!!!! Thanks again everyone!!!! dance1