Hello from South Georgia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by malibujock, Dec 30, 2009.

1. malibujock

malibujock New Member

Hello, my name is Darrel and I received a Huffy bike with a Skyhawk motor on it for Christmas from my lovely wife. She remembered me telling her when I was a kid I would take the 2 cyl, 2 cycle Maytag motor off my mothers washing machine and try to mount on my bicycle so I could have a Mo-Ped. Of course I was never successful. .shft. Over the years I had a Cushman Eagle, a Sears 125 cc bike and when in Thailand a 65 cc girls bike. Now at the ripe old age of 71 I have the motor bike. Have a few problems but sure I will get it worked out. I personally know the man that built it so I know I can get some help from him. The kill switch doesn't work and the clutch is terribly hard to pull and I keep flooding it. Other than that I love it. Will be reading with interest your posts and learning all I can.

2. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Clutch - mine is kind of stiff, too, might just be the way it is. I've seen someone's mod with a little pulley on a bracket on the right side of the engine, with the clutch cable going around that. Apparently, this makes the clutch pull super easy.

Kill switch - if it's wired to the white wire and frame ground, rewire it to splice into the black and blue CDI wires. If it still doesn't work, bad kill switch, see if you can get the vendor to replace it.

Flood - Use the right fuel mix. 16:1 is too oily. Break-in with 24:1 and then go to 32:1, with off the shelf 2-cycle oil. I see people experimenting with 100:1 with super fancy oil, but I don't ever buy anything fancy. Ditch the stock spark plug, replace with NGK B6HS or Champion L86C (there's an Autolite, too, someone mentioned the part number recently, but I forget, because I'm not a fan of Autolite plugs in general). If those don't help, lower the throttle needle by raising its e-clip a notch or two to lean the fuel out.

Merry Christmas!

3. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum malibujock, glad you joined us.

4. malibujock

malibujock New Member

Thanks for your reply. Talked with the man that built it the other day and got alot of enlightment.