Hello from DC

GoldenMotor.com

kahnowerh

Oct 26, 2009
Washington, District of Columbia
Hello,

I'm bad at introductions...
I get all nervous and sweat a bit...
and then I get too casual and curse in front of your mother.

I'd like to (build/buy) a MB ASAP.
It's getting chilly in DC, and, as much as I love biking, it sucks to get sweaty and cold...
Not only that, but pedaling with a heavy backpack on SUCKS.
And if I move back to PA I can throw this thing in the trunk like a bike and not have to rent a trailer (which would be the case if I got a scooter).

Not only that, but these things are too cool.

I have some experience maintaining bikes (I've a hand-me-down Schwinn Sprint that's older than me, and a Raleigh Technium Prestige that's... older than me!).
Actually, I need to find time to work on the Sprint. It's getting haggard.

But I've no experience with engines...
Other than owning go-carts and tinkering on...
On second thought, I've more experience than most of my friends with engines. And more common sense than a brick.

I'm rambling. I'll end it here.

Best regards,
David K

Last edited by a moderator:

kahnowerh

Oct 26, 2009
Welcome to the forum, David. You'll do fine on your build. Don't hesitate to ask anything you want. Any idea what bike you'll mount the motor on?
SB
I'm more focused on what kit I'm going to buy than what bike.
Whatever fits and is cheap, really.
The downtown Target will hopefully have some cheap bikes in stock. If not, I'll travel to walmart.

Either way, I'd like to go with a cruiser. I think they look really cool with the in-frame motors.
Like little badass motorcycles.

I am thinking of spending the initial dough and springing for an EZ Motorbike kit.
I haven't seen very much complaining about the aforementioned, and I'm looking for all the qualities it is said to have (4-stroke, quiet (most important), reliable).

I've known I wanted some type of motorized transportation for a while...
But I can't commit if I don't feel 100%, and I'm glad I never committed to a scooter.
With a motorized bike, I can fix anything on it.
With a scooter, I'd have to take it somewhere to get things repaired (my friend recently blew out a tire on her scooter, so now it's out of commission. if it had bike tires, I could have had her riding in half an hour)

A scooter would actually be cheaper (around 500 used, 700 new for the cheapies) but I'd rather go for simplicity and reliability. Plus (a huge plus!) I can take this bike back/forth/wherever with the right sized vehicle. A scooter would have meant renting a trailer if I ever want to take it far.

And, to answer your question:
Probably a Schwinn Legacy or Southport, or a Huffy Cranbrook.
I have to go back through the forums and note which of these got the best responses, because I know I've seen posts with these bikes in them.

I'm long winded.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. I agree that a cruiser is a good choice for a motorbicycle. I've read a lot of positive comments regarding the Schwinn 7 speed, steel framed Jaguar. It sure looks nice and at $150.00 new I think its a good value. Having gears is sure nice when you do need to pedal and just want to. My single speed cruisers are beasts to peddle any distance. Some of the walmart and Kmart bikes are cheap to buy, but may not be as well put together as the Schwinn Jaguar. Also, the Manic Mechanic has everything you need for a really slick install. I've ordered a rear hub adapter and sprocket and think it will make the worst and most problematic part of putting a kit together a thing of the past. My cruisers are old, but if I were buying new for a customer, I think it would be that Jag.
SB
The EZmotors setup is sweet. I'd love to have one when cash permits. The EZmotor requires more in frame room, so it is wise to know what you want for a power unit and then check to be sure it will fit the bike. There are a number of members have done Jag builds and no doubt others here who have used the bikes you've mentioned. So, don't be afraid to ask anything.
SB

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. I agree that a cruiser is a good choice for a motorbicycle. I've read a lot of positive comments regarding the Schwinn 7 speed, steel framed Jaguar. It sure looks nice and at $150.00 new I think its a good value. Having gears is sure nice when you do need to pedal and just want to. My single speed cruisers are beasts to peddle any distance. Some of the walmart and Kmart bikes are cheap to buy, but may not be as well put together as the Schwinn Jaguar. Also, the Manic Mechanic has everything you need for a really slick install. I've ordered a rear hub adapter and sprocket and think it will make the worst and most problematic part of putting a kit together a thing of the past. My cruisers are old, but if I were buying new for a customer, I think it would be that Jag.
SB
The EZmotors setup is sweet. I'd love to have one when cash permits. The EZmotor requires more in frame room, so it is wise to know what you want for a power unit and then check to be sure it will fit the bike. There are a number of members have done Jag builds and no doubt others here who have used the bikes you've mentioned. So, don't be afraid to ask anything.
SB
Hi, and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great guys here who will gladly answer any questions you have.
I agree with Silverbear regarding the choice of bike if you're building an EZM kit. The Jag seems to be a good fit (or vice-versa). I built mine on a Sun Retro CLassic Cruiser and it's a bit tight. The Schwinn seems to have more room in the opneing of the frame. If you have any questions regarding specifics of the EZM kit, just PM me with your phone number and I'll give you a call. There is also an EZM dealer near you, in Rockville, MD. Cheers!

kahnowerh

Oct 26, 2009
Wow.
Thank you both for your responses.

Near a grand is quite an investment for me (full time student seriously lacking time) so it's really reassuring to have the positive reviews reiterated.

And, thank you, I'll look around to see if I can find a Jag.
(and, after a bit of poking around...)
I can't seem to find the Jag (for sale new, at least).
However, it seems that the Landmark has just about the same geometry as the Jaguar.
(And the Landmark, Point Beach, and Delmar look to be the same bike, just with different options)

I'll poke around the forums and look for more pics/installs to see what I should be looking for.

Something that would be very helpful—do you have specifications for how much room I need in the frame (or any other EZM specifics)?

I was looking for an online installation manual (or anything, really) to tell me what to look for, but I can't find it. I guess I can go off the measurements of the Jaguar if I can find them.

This'll probably be much easier once I get in contact with the dealer in Rockville, but I like to know just about everything before I commit.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
David,
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help and advice. Here's a link that you might find interesting regarding the Jagaur with the EZM kit. http://motorbicycling.com/f15/azbills-ezm-powered-jaguar-7323.html Search 'Jaguar' and I think you'll find a lot of useful info. It would be my choice over the others you listed and there is another version called the 'South Port' Same bike, different color scheme. Hope this helps.