Have You Ever Seen a Big Dummy ?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by ex_cathedra, Mar 21, 2009.

1. ex_cathedra

ex_cathedra New Member

These are pretty pricey and I just came across these doing a google image search on 42mm rims by accident. These are too cool.I would like to have one of these motorized.
    Anyone here think they can fabricate these?
    It looks like it would be easy compared to the things I see people doing to bikes here....
    Check these out !
    They are called xtracycles. I like saddlebags so you can carry things with you.But this is ridiculous.
    In a good way !!!!!They call them Big Dummy's
    Xtracycle Gallery: February 2009
    These need motors!

Attached Files:

2. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

3. ex_cathedra

ex_cathedra New Member

Psst ..that black bike in the middle.
    Notice the thing on the front down tube?
    It looks like it acts as a fender.
    (I noticed people saying the front fenders can be dangerous from the vibrations of the motor causes failure)
    That looks like it could keep ya from getting splashed and won't cause you to face plant.
    The red cruiser looking one has odd fenders too it looks like a two piece.

4. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for pointing that out, I did not notice that. That is a great ideal!

5. ex_cathedra

ex_cathedra New Member

Wow ! Thanks !!That was fast !
    I was typing the Pssst post and poof !
    You had the details.
    I am bookmarking that and will harass my mechanical friends to see if I can talk one of them into making one.
    Hey fair...do people just make these ?
    I went to xtracycle and they had a frame looking thing that was over 1000 dollars.
    I like the bags.
    The bikes look like limo's
    But they shore need a motor!

6. ex_cathedra

ex_cathedra New Member

You might get a little squirt on a turn with the black one but it's better than no fender!

7. ex_cathedra

ex_cathedra New Member

Oooo I betcha you could hide a motor in there somewhere...I have seen people here wanting to camouflage their motors here .heh

8. Clotho

Clotho Member

Check out Mabman's creations. They are similar to these but designed for a motor.

9. mabman

mabman New Member

Clotho, you are either up early or out late? Or a different time zone like myself....

Here is what he is talking about and you are right. Loading up a cargo bike and trying to pedal it anywhere is a thankless task until you put an extra 1.6 hp on board. Then it is how much can you carry and where do you want to go.
    P1010745.jpg

P1010746.jpg

10. ocscully

ocscully New Member

The Extracycle is the set-up you show in the first photo above, it is an add-on unit you can put on just about any bicycle frame. Note the red frame is a DiamondBack and the silver /rear portion is the Extracycle. The bike in the second photo is a Big Dummy made by Surly/Quality Bicycle Products and is one solid frameset. Kona also makes a Cargo bike similar to the Big Dummy and the complete bike sells for about the same $ as the Surly frameset. KONA 2009 - Ute

ocscully

11. mekano

mekano New Member

Kona cargo bike seems shorter. Extracycle setup is Very cool!

12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Santa Cruz Scooter Works

One of my accounts has one of these bikes because they do deliveries in the Downtown San Jose Area where parking is tight. Their bike actually look pretty cool and durable.

13. happyvalley

happyvalley New Member

Surly may call it the Big Dummy but at a $1000 for the just frameset sans components, wheels, bars or seat they are not so dumb.

14. freewheeling frank

freewheeling frank New Member

a honda engine would go on there peal sweet

15. ex_cathedra

ex_cathedra New Member

I didn't see any pedals on that MAB... was thinking of friction drive on the back wheel of one of those hidden under the surfboard lookin' thingie for the ladies Schwinn that you can't mount a motor on. I think they look cool with the slant bag look.
    Here is my bike at present ...it still needs a cover for where we pulled off the pull start,and a new clutch handle maybe for that 3 speed thang we had to gut.And the rack isn't on either....
    But those big bags on those xtracycles make them look like and old caddillac with skirts.

Attached Files:

16. ...ladies

...ladies New Member

Cool bike, bet its fast with that small sprocket, idk what it is. maybe a 36 tooth? I'll talk to my grandpa about something like this. He teaches a computer intregrated machining class and with the blueprints he could make one. Idk if i'd make it as complex but i definitely like the look of the long frame. and my motorcycle saddlebags are kind of big for my short MB

17. mabman

mabman New Member

That picture was taken just before loading it up for a show. We usually don't show bikes with pedals on them.

The pedals are on there now and we are about off for a ride as soon as my partner gets done with his paint detailing mission.

I only have one thing to say about the MAB. Mission accomplished. Now we are working on the little brother. .weldscratg.spr.(p)

18. mabman

mabman New Member

It is still pretty darn chilly here in MI and some good wind to boot. Anyway here are a few shots from the ride. A quick 25 miler.
    DSC01232.JPG

DSC01237.JPG

DSC01245.JPG

DSC01244.JPG

19. KDC1956

KDC1956 New Member

Love to have a bike like that my self.Heck I might not even put a motor on it.

20. mabman

mabman New Member

Yeah, they ride great until you load them up as they are intended for use. Then you will want the motor. But that bike rides just fine as a bike even with the motor off too.