Harley tribute in military setting

GoldenMotor.com

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
While it is not as finished as I would like, I got the thing running for the Camp Mabry Austin Texas living history event. It represents very early Army experiments. The whizzer kickstand is an enormous addition in terms of looks and convenience.
The bike got lots of kudos from Military reinactors and visitors, one sees what one wants to see I guess. While the event is mostly WWII, there is a place were early timelines can be done and I and another guy did about 1910-1917 US military....and boy was that bike a convenience as the day got war and the event is very spread out. Mine was the only pre-WWII vehicle running around and was appreciated as such. Living history is a bit different from reinacting, reinacting is more for the benefit of the reinactors, living history is more educational.
I am planning on a 9HP bike of improved construction so I can sport a machine gun sidecar. The military and police prior to WWI experimented with same. A friend made me a great replica of a colt potato digger MG in wood that only weighs a few pounds ( figure I can make a light tripod mount that will also be lightweight)...the original weighed 40 pounds so I hope that I can carry a person in the sidecar with the 9hp, hopefully the 9 hp engine can generate enough low speed torque to get us moving, albeit slowly.

Attachments

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
That is indeed cool. More pics please
Right now these are the only pics I have but I am taking the bike to a biplane fly in maybe on the 30th but also our Air Fair on the 7th which will be an extravangza of old airplanes, model T's. old motorcycles, and the motorized tribute bikes thrown in along with a lot of living history folks costumed in the 1910-1930's garb.

I hope to change out the exhaust by then and add a long piece of conduit to simulate an exhaust pipe, maybe even add some pin striping and Harley Logo.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah your current exhaust is my least favourite thing on your bike. Other then that you have done and excellent job. I love it. And i really dig those handlebars. How comfy are those handlebars?

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Yeah your current exhaust is my least favourite thing on your bike. Other then that you have done and excellent job. I love it. And i really dig those handlebars. How comfy are those handlebars?
Fine until you have to do tight low speed manuevering. Everyone hates the current exhaust so it has to go!