governor removal and "little pin" pred 212

GoldenMotor.com

breath_easy13

Aug 27, 2019
North Caronlina
Finally getting started on the pred 212 build. Prepping the engine for a vert install and mikuni carb, i went ahead and removed the gas tank, carb, and throttle linkage bar (if thats what its called) and now im left with this little pin you can see below. I've been told i need to remove the governor to remove that little pin, the use a screw with some lock seal to cover it, but my question is, is there anyway to remove that pin and seal it with out removing the governor ? If not, then is there anything i should be careful off when removing the governor ?

Attachments

Reactions: indian22

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
That pin is too long to take out by itself without removing the connecting rod, so cut it with a grinder pretty close to the case then push it out.

The governor gear and oil sensor need to go as well. Plug holes with close fitting screws and aluminum or copper washers, and red loctite all over to seal (red loctite is good to fill gaps up to .015”). Don’t forget to get the little washer stuck to the case under the governor gear.

Also cut off the front gas tank mounts (they will break your case) and use the rear gas tank mount or head bolts for your front/upper mount.

Welcome to the club!

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
damn so i need to barrow a grinder. yeah i found a pretty good youtube video about prepping the engine with those steps listed. wish me luck boys
For under $20 you can get a 4-1/2" grinder and a multi pack of cut off wheels from harbor freight. It's not something that you would use every day but works well for home use.

breath_easy13

Aug 27, 2019
North Caronlina
That pin is too long to take out by itself without removing the connecting rod, so cut it with a grinder pretty close to the case then push it out.

The governor gear and oil sensor need to go as well. Plug holes with close fitting screws and aluminum or copper washers, and red loctite all over to seal (red loctite is good to fill gaps up to .015”). Don’t forget to get the little washer stuck to the case under the governor gear.

Also cut off the front gas tank mounts (they will break your case) and use the rear gas tank mount or head bolts for your front/upper mount.

Welcome to the club!
dude , dig the vert mount ! #vertmountmafia

Attachments

Reactions: indian22 and Tony01

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Grinder is good to buy your own just don’t buy consumables at harbor freight. Their grinder wheels just turn to black dust instead of cutting. One Home Depot cutoff wheel for $3.50 will outlast five HF wheels. I get the 10pk from HD for $23, raised centers. Dunno about the grinder itself but I got mine from HD as well a piece of crap ryobi for $30, it’s lasted me over five years of abuse. I find myself wishing I had two or three often times.

Last edited:

breath_easy13

Aug 27, 2019
North Caronlina
Grinder is good to buy your own just don’t buy consumables at harbor freight. Their grinder wheels just turn to black dust instead of cutting. One Home Depot cutoff wheel for $3.50 will outlast five HF wheels. I get the 10pk from HD for $23, raised centers. Dunno about the grinder itself but I got mine from HD as well a piece of crap ryobi for $30, it’s lasted me over five years of abuse. I find myself wishing I had two or three often times.
well **** i just purchased the 40s from harbor frieght, i have 1 little pin to cut are you saying they wont work ?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I’ve used HF blades and cut off wheels and they have worked fairly well, I know they’re not as good as name brand but to cut a bolt or something thin I’ve got by. If I need a better grinder I get out my Mikita that I’ve had for years. Most HF power tools are for the home owner that will use it every once in a while.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have no first hand experience with the predator but did a lot with Briggs and Stratton when I was younger, a cousin raced asphalt with a 5 HP Briggs he said would develop 18hp on racing fuel, his engines were highly modified. My cart with only a few mods ran faster than I wanted to go.