Good idea for night riding?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by warner, Feb 10, 2010.

1. warner

warner New Member

What do you guys think.....are the spoke lights a good idea for night riding? They probably DO make you much more visible from the side....

Warner

Nite Ize Official Site

2. RedB66

RedB66 New Member

#2 RedB66, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. warner

warner New Member

These aren't the valve stem lights...they go on the spokes and are bigger. They also have a flashing mode which seems to be the way to run them. I ordered a pair from a seller on Ebay....total cost for the pair was $15.90 including shipping charges.....

Warner

I'm going to go check out the ones you linked to, though.....

#3 warner, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. warner

warner New Member

Those are WAY cool! Expensive, but cool. The only problem seems to be that they probably couldn't handle the speeds that we get our bikes up to. My bike has hit over 40 mph and the last thing I'd want is a bunch of expensive lights getting flung off of my wheels into my legs and crotch at 40mph.

Warner

5. Norman

Norman LORD VADER Moderator
    Staff Member

Cool looking lights! They should help keep you visible. I bought a led light tube at an art fair
    $2.00 I put it on the front wheel nothing fancy. It looks like a UFO in the dark.

Who ever that was is very good on a bicycle I'll bet he COULD ride a motorized unicycle.

6. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

A state trooper told me once that a study was done to determine why drunks seemed to hit road side signs with a flashing light. Apparently they hit them much more than sober drivers. The study concluded that drunk drivers would concentrate on the flashing light and actually steer toward it. Ever since I've run a continous tail light instead of the flashing ones I used to use. But that's just me.
    Tom

7. jay sawdust

jay sawdust New Member

schwabble makes tires that have a "reflex" sidewall.....They are very visable at night I dont have any night pics but you can see them some in this pic [​IMG]

8. warner

warner New Member

Tom, that's an interesting point....and totally believable. I think that most of the times that I ride (generally to and from work - 6am and 4pm), there probably (HOPEFULLY!) aren't too many drunks on the road....it's usually people trying to do too much when they are driving. I like the flashing tail light for sure....but you make a good and interesting point about the drunks...

Warner

9. fall_down_stand_up

fall_down_stand_up New Member

I have to agree 100% and that goes for some drivers that are not drunk....

John-John