Glass Gas Tank

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by CSTMBLDR, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CSTMBLDR

CSTMBLDR New Member

Hey I'm a newbe but i just wanted to share this little project that I did. Its a crystal head vodka bottle drilled and mounted as my gas tank on the cruiser (pics). It has worked out great and no leaks. What do you guys think?

http://s527.photobucket.com/user/idaho_redneck/media/GOPR0070.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s527.photobucket.com/user/idaho_redneck/media/GOPR0051.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s527.photobucket.com/user/idaho_redneck/media/GOPR0048.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s527.photobucket.com/user/idaho_redneck/media/GOPR0041.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

#1 CSTMBLDR, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. WightBoy

WightBoy New Member

That looks really good on there. Dont lay your bike down or hit any potholes though.

3. leadfarmer

leadfarmer New Member

Wow, that's cool. How did you drill for the gas spigot(petcock)?

4. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

That's cool (^) Would be really neat if you could mount it on the head tube like a head badge and then illuminate it.

5. ProMcCown

ProMcCown New Member

My grandfather drills holes on the back of bottles and puts LEDs in them, he uses a diamond cutting bit or something like that. That's a great idea for the tank, really stands out and is unique. When I first saw the bottle I was like "I've seen that somewhere" and realized I got my mom the same bottle of Vodka for Christmas lol. It now sits in her living room lit up with LEDs.

6. CSTMBLDR

CSTMBLDR New Member

I used a diamond tip bit to get through the glass. Its actually a lot more durable then i thought.

7. racie35

racie35 Active Member

are you worried it will break?

8. ProMcCown

ProMcCown New Member

That bottle is pretty thick. As long at it is mounted really well I don't think he has to worry to much. Unless the bike falls over or something.

9. CSTMBLDR

CSTMBLDR New Member

Not to worried about it breaking unless i crash. I've seen this bottle tossed across a room and it didnt break so im pretty confident.

10. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

Now that is a unique fuel tank.

11. tooljunkie

tooljunkie Member

coolest tank by far.
    i really like it.
    i,to have seen that jug dropped,its tough glass.
    if he goes down hard enough to break it,it will be the least of his worries.

12. Maxvision

Maxvision New Member

Ever wonder why gas stations don't want you putting gasoline in glass containers? BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL!!!

Have you ever watched Ridiculousness or Worlds Dumbest? The things people do without thinking ahead about possible consequences never ceases to amaze me!

Guess it's just B'Jezus' way of "Culling the Herd"...

It is a cool tank idea though. You should make a fiberglass mould of it, spray a release agent inside the 2 halves of the mould and lay up some fiberglass. Duplicating it in fiberglass is a lot cheaper than having a hospital or mortician pull glass out of you or have a Police Officer confiscate your bike and then write you a ticket for an illegal gasoline container.

And what have you done about venting the gas cap? If there's no vent, as the gas leaves the tank it will eventually create enough vacuum that the gas will no longer flow to your carburetor.

#12 Maxvision, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  13. dmb

dmb Active Member

head wile riding??? that could bite you if your not careful