Gas tank safety concern

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by beerbattered, Jan 27, 2010.

1. beerbattered

beerbattered New Member

This may be overly cautious of me but, if you are out riding (and stopping here and there) for the day with air temps in the 90's, wouldn't a black gas tank get wicked hot? South Florida sun doesn't play around. I've literally burned my back by leaning against a black pickup with my shirt off during the summer. I just don't like the idea of my fuel being 100 and whatever degrees. Your thoughts?

2. HoughMade

HoughMade New Member

If your cap is vented properly, not a problem. Take a look around. How many motorcycles have black tanks? If not most, at least a large proportion...and you don't see them exploding on hot days. In fact, I've never heard of one case. Ride on.

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

I have ridden mine in 120+ heat here in the desert,,,never a prob, expansion fumes will escape thru the vent :)

in other words,,,I agree with houghmade laff

4. rkorson4209

rkorson4209 New Member

I'll have to agree with hough and azbill. Seeing how my last motorcycle had a black tank, and it didn't blow. But if it really makes you feel at ease you can always paint it

5. HBfisherman

HBfisherman New Member

Gasoline combusts and 495 Degrees Fahrenheit! Just don't drive into **** and you'll be alright.

6. Randog707

Randog707 New Member

All the guys here got it right,no worries.I rode my bike all summer long under the california sun temps ranging from 90 to 118 never had any trouble,also I store my bike out side,and rarely does it see any shade.An otherwords ride on brotha.Randy

7. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

Tape a design on the top part of the tank and use a lite colour of choise,remove tape and admire the art.

8. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

if you paint flames on it, don't use real ones for a pattern...