Free Stuff is Cool!

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Kevlarr, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

A guy I work with rescued this Schwinn from the dumpster this morning for me and after a few minutes of work I have some HD fenders and a chrome piece of bling for my Cranbrook. .wee.

Also found a kids seat sitting by another dumpster this afternoon and when I went to toss it in I noticed that the seat part was attached to basically a rear rack. Unbolted the seat from the rack and tossed the seat. The deck of the rack is plastic so I'm thinking of ditching that, using the hardware and making a deck out of some oak I have laying around.

Attached Files:

2. af0h

af0h New Member

Cool. It's amazing what people throw away all of the time. Hardest
    part is being in the right place at the right time.

A little cleaning/polishing/painting and you're good to go.

Those fenders have to be much better than the ones that came with
    the Cranbrook - mine were'nt worth a crap.

af0h - Rob

3. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

Funny thing is after sanding down the front fender to bare metal I actually found BONDO!

Someone in the past really spent some time prepping it for paint because there's little dots of filler all over the place. Used to have a headlight too, found where they brazed the holes closed.

Seems like a lot of work for a girl's bike. rotfl

4. af0h

af0h New Member

Oh well, price is still right. Who knows what someone originally had in mind. Maybe gave up on a complete resto.....

Anyway, being in that condition - should be easy to prep and paint.

Good Luck.

af0h - Rob

5. Junster

Junster New Member

I watch the garage sales too. I got a schwinn 2.1 for 4 dollars the other day. It was in pretty bad shape but got a 7 speed twist shifter I needed. It had a nice stem and front wheel. I tossed most of the rest but the cost of buying that shifter alone was way more than 4 bucks.