Frame dilema

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Rudz, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Rudz

Rudz New Member

I've had my MB a few months now, around 800 miles on it so far.

I upgraded the handlebar, stem, wheelset and front rotor on the bikesdirect mtb. Whole bike original cost was $300

Fast forward, now that I have more experience with these, I realize I probably should have gotten a better frame, one without ridiculously huge tubes. Not to mention a short headtube and minimal room for the engine.

I'm supposed to get a Christmas bonus and I'm eyeing the skyhawk frames, my bars, wheels brakes will all transfer easily. I just press the headset, grab a bb adapter, bottom bracket, crankset and seatpost. The rest of the stuff should fit.

I could probably use my current bb and crankset if I wanted to save money.

Cons of the frame, cost of buying a new frame, and I'd have to buy a different rack or use a backpack. Also smaller tank

Pros are I feel it's more reliable, and I get to use a high compression head if I want

Or keep my frame, buy another 4L tank, I cracked mine. New sturdy motor mounts.

Decision decision

2. BobbyT

BobbyT Member

Buy Ihe frame and build it. If you don't you will keep eyeballing it. Santa is getting me one, If I keep my MB's away from her washer and dryer!dance1

3. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

You and the baby deserve a gift. Gonna make ya feel better. Most of the parts are transferable, so good investments there.

Like sands through the hr glass... (lol, opening line from a soap opera that was on TV when I was a little kid, getting home from school every day.)

The money is gonna go some where. For the $, and how many hrs of joy these crazy forms of functional art give, a really great investment. And still cheaper than golf.

Or as Carol says; "Keeps ya outa the bars and your happy. You should get it..."

Not to support or suborn addiction, if it won't cause you and yours to miss a meal or live out doors, why not get it. Me thinks.

It's only money

4. Rudz

Rudz New Member

That's why I love you guys. Lmfao

5. BobbyT

BobbyT Member

Rudz,
    Time to get the frame while they are on SALE! $99 shipped.

6. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

so true, I turned down a '36 BSA 1000cc flathead v-twin for $800 back in 1977 - still kicking myself for not getting it

7. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Holy cap & gown BatMan, might have to revise my letter to Santa.
    wut? I been good. sorta...

weren't they around $300? I really don't recall.

8. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

The Skyhawk frames certainly make a motorized bike look more motorcycle-ish. You can always carry extra premix in a different container and add it to the tank when needed.
    Some guys would rather spend their money on engine hop up parts, a shift kit, suspension or stronger wheels.
    It truly is a matter of what you want and what would benefit you most.

9. Rudz

Rudz New Member

Where at? Link?

10. BobbyT

BobbyT Member