First time litter (theft prevention help?)

GoldenMotor.com

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
So I am looking to prevent theft of my bike once kitted what are some alarm/ electric pulse ideas I can do through the handle bars, something like I hidden toggle switch that can be flipped on at night and if someone tries to take it they get electrocuted upon starting up?

I was also thinking of a tabbed hot seat molded on the cuff off the seat lip that way it will taze a theives nuts or cootermuff off.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
maybe you could rig up a spring loaded spike in the downtube and go for a impaling defense, and electrify the spike as well. or fashion a claymore into a seat and arm when parked. lots of things you can do if you don't mind killing/maiming the scummer who's taking your baby

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
maybe you could rig up a spring loaded spike in the downtube and go for a impaling defense, and electrify the spike as well. or fashion a claymore into a seat and arm when parked. lots of things you can do if you don't mind killing/maiming the scummer who's taking your baby

Lol at claymore dislike those ex gamer ava, nah seriously not to impal a their just make them selves piss and or **** them selves so I can open the door and laugh. Wish they made electric brakes like Safeway carts..duh.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you considered a hand grenade attached to the bottom of your seat? Attach a string from the grenade pin to an immovable object then when the thief rides off it pulls the pin and in a few seconds, "Boom". No more bike thief.

Of course it's a little hard on the bike but that guy won't be stealing any more. Guaranteed.

Tom

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Have you considered a hand grenade attached to the bottom of your seat? Attach a string from the grenade pin to an immovable object then when the thief rides off it pulls the pin and in a few seconds, "Boom". No more bike thief.

Of course it's a little hard on the bike but that guy won't be stealing any more. Guaranteed.

Tom
Lol not funny but I like your signature, my scooters still whipping my but 1987 copy Honda. I'm thinking 42mm carb now.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
This won't zap the thief but you could install a secret toggle switch wired into the kill circuit so at least they can't fire it up.

Or maybe also a pin on the bottom of a cheap bike bell which could be inserted into a hole in the clutch lever so the clutch is locked out. So you just have an innocent looking little bell.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A beer can sized 200V 36,000 uF capacitor can give you a tazer like shock with just a 12V charge.

When I was working on mainframe computers the power supplies had a few big caps like that and I would run a pair of bare copper wires like candy cane around the body, charge it up, and leave it on the bench with a note saying 'Do Not Touch'.
Nobody ever picked one up twice ;-}

Though as fun as it sounds to taze a thug, it's not really practical without an on-board battery.

I use a keylock switch epoxied to the top of the CDI to disable the engine.

When the switch is ON it shorts the CDI inputs so it won't start.
I had a customer tell me he was at convenience store and some thug tried to jump on it and ride away.

He just jogged up to him trying to escape and taught him a lesson.

You can't jump around it, and bashing the epoxied cover takes the CDI's wire with it so the thief wound need to buy a new cdi at the least.

At home a simple alarm is easy.
A simple box with a siren that once turned on, any break in the circuit triggers the alarm. Remember the old household window tape strips?
Like that.

Just a thin 2 conductor wire long enough to reach your bike with a pair of alligator clips on the ends.

Clip them to anything, like a spoke near the ground, and activate the alarm.

Move the bike and the clips come off and set off the alarm.
You hear the alarm and the thief can't use the engine to make an escape.
... and you don't blow your bike up or hurt yourself ;-}

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I just have an automatic clutch that engages both ways, so acts as a brake when the engine is not running, combined with a very hard to find kill switch. You can't ride above about 5 mph without the clutch engaging and stopping the bike, and since I can run faster than that, the thieves get caught and beat up. (this has happened twice, both times resulted in me catching the thief)

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV

Tom
Thief might spot the string.

How about 200 grams of Semtex in the seat tube arranged as a shaped charge. triggered with an RFID chip. Once the bike gets too far from the "key" it triggers.

That way when the bike moves a safe distance from where you are sleeping the charge blows the thief's spine right out the top of his skull...

Did I mention I hate thieves?

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I just picked up some adhesive backed vibration detecting alarms from HF for $5 a pair. I'm going to experiment whether these could be used as a backup hidden alarm on a locked bike, an extra measure of protection. Not sure whether they are sensitive enough to trigger upon trying to start a motor bike, but it should work.

Some scooter ignition switches are wired for magneto ignitions and short the coil to ground with the key off. If you use this method of protection the wiring needs to be concealed on a manner not easily accessible, because just pulling the coil wire defeats the lock. KC'a idea about putting a key directly on the CDI so it gets ruined if messed with is a good idea.

I've been thinking about motor bike security more lately because I moved to an area where the bikes would make great local transportation, and am looking at ways to protect it when it's parked in public.