First Motorized Build

GoldenMotor.com

Jeffh

Sep 24, 2017
I’m starting to gather components for my first build. I landed this Firmstrong cruiser off of Craigslist for $15. It has a bit of surface rust but in good condition otherwise. I’m only using the frame, so everything has been removed from it. I’ve got some modifications to the frame planned. I’ve been sourcing parts and building and rebuilding this bike in my head for a while now. Really excited to get it started.

Attachments

Reactions: DocScott56 and Dan

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
What a NICE blank canvas! Mine (as in gold mine) for ideas and applied thoughts on your forum here.
Start by checking out my albums, then go to other member pic albums. Pics say thousands of words. So many and so much experience here. Wealth of info - lots of tips and assistance here. Good luck to you!

Jeffh

Sep 24, 2017
Ordered General 5 Star gas tank off of Ebay. I'ts marked as shipped and projected to arrive from India late January. After the tank arrives I'll start filling my parts box.

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Once I get a Sunlite fork, stem, and kickstand I'll have a rolling chassis.
I have that kind of Sunlite Center Stand it works out good. The fitting of it sitting centered where it bolts to the frame is off a bit on my bike so I will maybe see if I can make and adapter or just weld if it is steel to one of the feet. Offroading means I usually have to lean it up against a tree or put a piece of wood under the feet. The rubber ends just wear off, I'd say just remove them right away. The ground is frozen in lots of places I go but is very uneven. Generally the stand is good, but don't sit on the bike with the stand down it will probably break as it is not meant for that. My bike at 130 lbs by itself it does allow when I secure the front wheel and weight it down, I can test the engine and the rear wheel is free to spin. But be careful for sure as this is risky. Now that my engine is tuned good it does not need this set up. It however is way useful for removing the rear wheel and working on stuff with the rear wheel removed. The front wheel has to be bungeed to not move or turn and be weighted with 30lb weight belt to be sure the bike does not tip.

Reactions: Jeffh

Jeffh

Sep 24, 2017
I have that kind of Sunlite Center Stand it works out good. The fitting of it sitting centered where it bolts to the frame is off a bit on my bike so I will maybe see if I can make and adapter or just weld if it is steel to one of the feet. Offroading means I usually have to lean it up against a tree or put a piece of wood under the feet. The rubber ends just wear off, I'd say just remove them right away. The ground is frozen in lots of places I go but is very uneven. Generally the stand is good, but don't sit on the bike with the stand down it will probably break as it is not meant for that. My bike at 130 lbs by itself it does allow when I secure the front wheel and weight it down, I can test the engine and the rear wheel is free to spin. But be careful for sure as this is risky. Now that my engine is tuned good it does not need this set up. It however is way useful for removing the rear wheel and working on stuff with the rear wheel removed. The front wheel has to be bungeed to not move or turn and be weighted with 30lb weight belt to be sure the bike does not tip.
Thanks for the info!
I like how a bike looks with this type of stand. Its ability to raise either end of the bike off the ground will certainly be helpful.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The mock tank looks too big for the frame. I expect that the shape of the actual tank will even out it’s proportion to the frame.
I might take the mock tank apart and round the edges.
That tank does look a little big......however, you might consider using a layback seat post. It would help to make the tank 'look' a little bit smaller by pushing the seat back.

Best of luck with your build!

Reactions: Jeffh

Jeffh

Sep 24, 2017
That tank does look a little big......however, you might consider using a layback seat post. It would help to make the tank 'look' a little bit smaller by pushing the seat back.

Best of luck with your build!
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m going for the infamous Derringer style build. They use a lay back post on their bikes. I’m 5’-6” tall so if I want to sit on the bike and have both feet on the ground my post will have to be really low with a pretty sharp angle. I’m considering shelving this frame and getting one with a longer top tube. That would make the tank seem a little smaller too. I’ll make that decision when I have the actual tank.

Jeffh

Sep 24, 2017
USPS tried to deliver my tank today but I wasn’t home to sign for it. I was able to arrange for pickup on the 2nd. The style of my bike is centered around the tank, so it’s great to have it. I can’t wait to put it on the frame and see how it fits.

Jeffh

Sep 24, 2017
It does look a little big but it should fit on pretty good. How much gas will that thing hold? Anyway, nice build!
I think with the right paint color, tire size, and such, I could probably achieve a nice proportionate look.
The tank holds about 1.8 gallons.