First message: first question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by johnthenovice, Jan 12, 2010.

1. johnthenovice

johnthenovice New Member

Hello all. I'm new here and new to building a motor on my bike. I live in So. California and am looking forward to having a motor on my bike. I've already run into a problem. I can't seem to get the clutch to disengage the sprocket from the motor. When I turn the sproket (its very hard to turn I can't do it by hand) I can hear stuff inside the motor turning. How am I going to install the chain without being able to easily spin the sproket? Thanks for your help.

2. rockvoice

rockvoice New Member

you dont have to engage or disengage the clutch to turn the motor for chain installation.
    make shure you have the spark plug removed the turn it over with the tool provided in the kit.

3. skipu

skipu New Member

put a socket on the sprocket and turn to pull chain through and your done hope this helps have a good 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.wee.

4. Nougat

Nougat New Member

New kit, the countershaft is probably stuck. Take the clutch cover off (right side), take the set screw out of the clutch plate. Pull the clutch lever and remove the flower nut. Take off the clutch plate, and the spring behind it. Use the spark plug wrench on the nut that holds the ring gear on, turn it, and the countershaft will unstick.

Put it back together, adjust your clutch with the flower nut so that it's free when it's supposed to be and not when it's not, and don't forget the set screw.

5. DOC BOLM

DOC BOLM New Member

Do what Rockvoice said.You dont want to take the clutch apart Keep it simple.H.D.

6. The 26incher

The 26incher New Member

This site rules! That's some great info right there...