First Build

GoldenMotor.com

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Huffy Beach Cruiser, picked it up for $150. 66cc 2 stroke on it, it's a fun little machine. I think by the black bike and gold rims, it looks almost like a 30s motorbike, I saw that bike and just had to buy it. These pictures are taken in my dining room, it's not that clean now, as those tires go through everything and i've been doing time trials on a wet 1/4 running track and really using it like a dirt bike. Pops into a wheelie quite nicely too

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Keep a close eye on those fenders...Huffy fender mounting is famous for failures when motorized and you DO NOT want one getting wrapped up in a wheel locking you up at 30mph.
Trust me on this. Yank both fenders or reinforce them ASAP.
I've built dozens of Cranbrooks and other similar models and the fenders can be extremely dangerous unless properly strengthened.

Reactions: LandSpeedRecord

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Keep a close eye on those fenders...Huffy fender mounting is famous for failures when motorized and you DO NOT want one getting wrapped up in a wheel locking you up at 30mph.
Trust me on this. Yank both fenders or reinforce them ASAP.
I've built dozens of Cranbrooks and other similar models and the fenders can be extremely dangerous unless properly strengthened.

Absolutely correct-a-mundo!! Also keep a watch on all your fasteners.....it'll amaze you what will come loose on these Huffy's. A caliper front brake is also something that should be added to your future project list --- my Huffy rear coaster brake has been known to do some weird stuff.

Nice look'n build, though!!

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Yeah, I actually had a clutch cover bolt come off and I spent hours wondering why my bike wouldnt start (it loosened the clutch off). I'm going to Locktite everything and a front disk break is already on my list

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yeah, I actually had a clutch cover bolt come off and I spent hours wondering why my bike wouldnt start (it loosened the clutch off). I'm going to Locktite everything and a front disk break is already on my list
Nice looking bike. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Be careful which Loctite product you choose. We try hard to steer folks away from Loctite Red, #262. It is essentially made for permanent assemblies and can cause you some grief if used on certain fasteners. Look for Loctite Blue, #242. It will hold but you won't need heat to disassemble whatever you put together with it.

I'll third the motion on the fenders. Reinforce them or remove them before you get hurt.
(voice of experience)

Tom

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
The bike was $150, I still had to purchase the motor which I bought locally. Any suggestions on how to re enforce the fenders? I don't really wanna remove them

viperman200221

Sep 16, 2012
Lansing, MI
The bike was $150, I still had to purchase the motor which I bought locally. Any suggestions on how to re enforce the fenders? I don't really wanna remove them
If you can switch out the cheap factory hardware holding the fenders on with some good bolts and nylock nuts. Some blue locktite won't hurt either. You may have to cut the new bolts down a little so you have good tire clearance if you can't get short ones.

xct2

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It isn't just the fasteners that can fail. The factory fender braces and the brackets on the fenders, usually pop rivited on, that can cause you problems.
I'd suggest using the search feature, type in 'fenders' and see what comes up. There has been a lot of discussion on fenders and how to keep them on. I'm sure you'll find plenty to read on the subject. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...90&ss=5406j2163934j20#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=fenders

Good luck.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It isn't just the fasteners that can fail. The factory fender braces and the brackets on the fenders, usually pop rivited on, that can cause you problems.
I'd suggest using the search feature, type in 'fenders' and see what comes up. There has been a lot of discussion on fenders and how to keep them on. I'm sure you'll find plenty to read on the subject. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...90&ss=5406j2163934j20#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=fenders

Good luck.

Tom
I agree 100%!
The tabs that hold the fasteners are the usual failure point. They whip around so much under engine vibration that they work-harden and snap with no warning.
At minimum I'd replace ALL the tabs and brackets with much thicker steel material and use nylock hardware in place of all rivets/stock bolts. The stamped steel flat braces that run to the axle are junk as well. Use 1/4 steel rod and some thick washers to make your own HD versions.
Your life is worth the effort!

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Yep, both my fenders had cracked the tabs before I removed them.

Another thing to watch on the Huffy's is the rear bearing cones have a real tendency to loosen (at least they do on mine). Give your rear wheel a good side-to-side shake from time to time to see if they've loosened. A good set of cone wrenches makes the adjusting process much easier!!

Good luck!!

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Just an update, i've got around 150km on it now, drove it to the cottage last week. For the price of the bike, i'm really pleased with it. I can drive 40km/h and it doesn't shake or anything, and the stock tires will take anything I throw at them, i've tried on a gravel track, snowbanks, water, muddy fields (and muddy fields with an inch of water). I'm currently in the process of wiring up lights, horn and a key switch. I'd recommend this bike, it's really got the perfect frame!

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
So, time for an update....This was built in March of 2014, I thrashed the **** out of that thing for a few years, then it met it's fate after I decided to ride it down a cow path through a farmer's field at full throttle. It all seemed good when I got home, then the next day both tires were flat and the carb was leaking fuel. It sat for about a year, where I put 2 new tubes in it and the carb was so packed full of dirt it wouldn't even run. Tore it apart cleaned it, got it running again and took it for a drive...got about 500 feet before I realized the rims were bent huge. Fast forward until now, it had been sitting since 2019 and I put well over 1000 km on it, which to me seems like a lot for a bicycle. I haven't been able to find rims at a decent price to fit the cranbrook as it is (Cheapest I found was $75 a piece for used ones).

I cleaned the engine up and put it on an electra townie frame, with stretched pedals. Had to make a bracket to make the engine fit as the frame is so long on that thing. Been driving it around all summer until yesterday when the one gas tank stud decided to leak. Going to try JB weld around all of the studs and maybe some rubber around where the tank mounts to try to isolate the tank from vibrating.

Over the winter I plan on refurbishing the cranbrook and putting the engine back on it. New paint, bearings, rims, disc brakes, run a jack shaft and a rear hub with 5 or 6 gears, as I don't like the spoke clamp design, even though it hasn't given me any problems. I also had "upgraded" to a spring tensioner that bolts to the cover of the engine which I'll probably do away with for a stock style tensioner, as as soon as you try to back up it just throws the tensioner off. Other plans include exhaust, head, some other performance mods and make it as street legal as possible, turn signals etc, as well as suspension. I am surprised though, at how reliable this bike has been. The first time it ever broke down on me was yesterday, and besides having to change the one seal where the mag goes and clean the carb from sitting it's never given me any problems. Will upload pics of it shortly.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Keep an eye out for garage sales and places like good will, I picked up a girls bike in good condition for $15, if you find wheels that work is a good deal.