Engine and parts painting

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
In keeping with my original plan to "stealth" my bike I've, after completing some successful test rides over the last few days, decided that it's time to strip it down and get to work on the stealth part of the plan.

The engine was first on the painting list and the pictures show the result...the main body of the carb was a tedious thing to get masked but anyway the engine and related parts are done :)

Last edited:

johnnyb

Apr 20, 2009
Columbia, SC
Looks great but I have to ask........ wouldn't it have been easier to just order the whole thing in black from the get-go? Not trying to be a smartass, I'm just saying.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yea I suppose it might have been but where I purchased my engine here in Canada they don't carry the black engine kits. As well from the pictures I've seen on the www it looks like the black that the Chinese are using is the glossy type...I wanted flat black.

I used Tremclad high heat BBQ and stove paint which is a flat type.

The frame will also be done up in a flat finish and the lexan side panels will also be black but since I will be painting the inside part of those they will appear glossy. Rear rack I bought for the project is flat black and my panniers are also black.

I'm on the hunt for some black rims now too...lol

johnnyb

Apr 20, 2009
Columbia, SC
Yeah the chinese do use the glossy paint. The high heat BBQ paint should hold up well as Ive used it for moped pipes in the past. Good luck!

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
DAX's don't come in black.
I don't like the shinny either. I used BBQ paint also.
Cam broke no recent pics but here's mine.

I smoothed fins with Dremel and used stel wool to highlight. Removed paint where carb attaches and the angle stock on the Large Phillipino mod is now red.

Last edited: