elec. front box cargo bike(build)

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Thinking about motorizing with a 36v unite 500w (razor) motor. I've got this 24 to 1 gear box. Anyone know about these motors, could use the info.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow already a thread!

That's a dang cool bike! Its got room for a V8 in the front.

Why don't you add a jackshaft with a reduction from the left side to a pedal crank like a shifter bike with a freewheel then you can shift.

The guy on ebay Sun motors in Miami I believe, was cutting loose the right side pedal cranks with both sprockets and the freewheel really cheap. You can buy the bottom bracket conversion to the three piece cranks for $10.

Since you are the accomplished welder I bet you can repurpose mostly bike parts(like sprockets) to do this.
That reduction box might eat up a good bit of the 500w

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Accomplished....lol...hf 90 amp flux core!! I am getting to where I trust my own welds..lol. The auto darkening helmet makes a big improvement. So, I didn't know about the gearbox eating the juice up. So a shifter it is. That bike was the first thing I built. I seen one on YouTube, went out bought the welder, and then found Mb. I had a pred79 on it...scary..got to speed wobble-en really bad. I'm just Leary of investing in this razor motor..it weighs like 20# probably brushed. It does run, I hooked up 2 of my 18 volt drill batteries. I've searched and no can find any body who used one of these motors..

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
People use them I have seen threads over at the Sphere Where the entire little bike
is hot rodded. I think the little motor is ok. It stands up to kids use.
Brushed motors will not tolerate being over volted like a brushless. I would Imagine it was a 24v application.

Since its a cargo bike it will handle SLAs well, the cheapest way to power. If it is a 24v then two batteries wouldn't be out of control weight wise.

I ran my cargo on 3) 15ah SLAs they were heavy but the bike handled it well and it pulled like a freight train. It has been much more loaded than this. This was when it was running my home built Li-ion battery.

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=554018&postcount=42

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Your cargo is more practical. I'll go check spere, see what I can find. I found a bike parts seller who has the frame I used for 'rear sus.' build..20$. I'm thinking, ill probably swap meet the cargo. And invest in the Honda build. Well see.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow Id buy that bike in a heart beat. Seems like all the cool stuff is always a zillion miles away.

Don't give up on it so fast.

Would be easy to figure a direct drive ratio extrapolating the values from the original tire size and gearing.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Yeah, the bike is an attention getter. Some even know that its a 'cargo bike'. I put up a post on endless sphere. There were only 2 listings in search. The razor MX has no batt,no controller, so id need batt,controller,charger, I'd have to use razor sprockets, Js, shift kit parts, butttt, electric is so free of California dmv laws, no lic, no reg, no nothing. And yeah I could carry a 6 battery parallel. Just not knowing how the motor will handle pulling around a 300# load. Idk.....

Last edited: