easy fix for bicycle sprocket clearance....

Discussion in 'Mounting Techniques for Bicycle Motors' started by Tucson_Toast, May 19, 2016.

1. Tucson_Toast

Tucson_Toast New Member

Being my first build' i was having trouble figuring out how to mount the engine high enough on the frame to clear the bicycle sprocket. resulting in the creation of a frankenstein type mount.It would be safe to say' after having 2 mounting bolts snap off in the block and ending up with an engine in my lap.......Suddenly simple seemed to be the solution.I just put another rear mounting bracket in the front and used the head threads from a junker instead of the short stock mounting bolts. Im sure it has been done before but it works like a champ for me and honestly am looking for any feedback as to why i should/shouldnt be running this front motor mount this way..shft.

Attached Files:

2. 60weight

60weight New Member

Well, Your drive chain clears the frame fine looks like...
    Both mounts look strong...and these 48cc engines dont vibrate bad...
    And Your front tube is the smaller size,engines got the big size so You solved that just fine..
    Id say You did great!

#2 60weight, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods New Member

Yup! Looks good to me.

You say you're a newbie? Then you're a newbie who knows how to use your head.

You'll want to keep an eye on those studs and make sure they don't work loose. But that's true with any build.

Your drive chain looks just a bit slack to me. You ought to do something about that.

4. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks good toast, maybe we will run into each other on the streets of Tucson some day.

5. mogollonmonster

mogollonmonster New Member

Toast, the only improvement I can offer would be to replace the studs with the highest grade tempered American hardware. But that's about it really, and only If you want to, I'm sure they'll work.

Dave, I didn't realise you're from AZ, yay us!

6. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes sir, born and raised Arizonan

7. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

8. maniac57

maniac57 Old, Fat, and still faster than you

I agree. Looks just fine, and light years better than some of the stuff I've seen.
    Keep an eye on all the hardware the first few weeks until everything takes a set.
    Then you can check every few weeks

9. Tucson_Toast

Tucson_Toast New Member

Looks pretty sturdy. Have you had any experience with one. Up to this point I've been doing my best to reduce the number of moving parts. hence no tensioner