Drum brake help.

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by N8dogg, Jun 4, 2010.

1. N8dogg

N8dogg New Member

I just got a new wheel from husky with a sturmey archer drum brake for the front of my cruiser. I have never dealt with a drum and need help on installing the cable. If anyone could run me through it I would appreciate it. Thanks

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

None of my drum brakes are Sturmey Archer. They cable up much like a road bike caliper brake or avid disk brake.
    I'll see if I can find any pics that might help.

3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

Here is a link to a wikipedia article on bicycle brakes. Scroll down to the drum brake section. Click on the pic of the shimano drum (roller) brake for a nice enlargement.
    The pic shows a rear brake, but the rigging is the same.

Bicycle brake systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cable jacket terminates on a fixed piece, that usually has a barrell adjustor.
    The end of the cable moves the brake lever. Use the manufactured end of the cable in the hand lever.
    If your Sturmey Archer brake did not come with a cable terminator for the "wheel" end (to pull the lever on the drum brake), make one with a nut and bolt squeezing the cable end, or you can buy something better from a hardware store.
    Here's one of mine.
    [​IMG]

#3 wheelbender6, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I just got through putting one of those on mine today.

First, put the handle cable end into the handle.

The cable end that goes on the brake side has a threaded adjuster barrel, with a slotted peg on it. That cable end has a cylindrical knarp on the end. The cable end knarp goes in the two-fingered lever on the brake (the short one). The slotted barrel goes into the hook on the long arm. Turn the adjuster barrel clockwise to adjust the cable play tighter, and tighten the little lock ring against the slotted peg.

You'll need to clamp down that long brake arm to the forks with something. I know on mine, the arm is far away from the fork, so I'm going to need to be creative about that. You have to make sure that long arm does not move in its clamp. It should be resting right against the fork leg, but mine is definitely not, and I don't have the facilities to bend it. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.

5. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I was wrong - the brake arm is bendable with a pair of vice grips and a pair of channel locks. Just need to get a proper clamp for it now.

6. retromike3

retromike3 New Member

Make sure that the brake arm is on the same side as the rear. That way the arm pushes into the clamp. I had a front brake "let go" and wrap the cable around the hub dumping me on the ground. I know it does not look right compared to standard brakes but it can make a big difference.

Mike

7. N8dogg

N8dogg New Member

I figured the cable out about 15 minutes after I started this thread. The brake arm clamp that came with the wheel wouldnt even come close to fitting on my fork so i ended up using a copper coupler and 2 hose clamps from home depot and it hasnt failed me yet. I use a dual brake lever with a caliper brake for rear and I stop WAY faster then before. Money well spent IMO