drive gear nut?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
How big is the nut, and what is best to remove it? A socket? How to anchor sprocket while breaking it off?

Anyone have experience with narrow sprocket and chain? Wasn't a regular bike chain the standard kit chain a few years back?

I'd like to give one a try, but don't have a sprocket to break the shaft nut in the kit....

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I changed my drive sprocket to a skinnier one when I built my deviate (I needed the extra clearance) gallery384
I used 'drop buster' heavy-duty bmx chain meant for stunting and never saw any stretch...really good chain!
I am not sure what the thread is on the nut though
I broke the nut free by putting a ratchet on it and giving the ratchet a quick smack with a hammer,,,don't laugh, it works !!! :)
you can then pull the gear with the included gear puller :)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
But can anyone tell me the SOCKET SIZE? so I don't have to schlep the motor to the store, or I can order one online

I'm guessing 18mm because the 17 I have won't fit. Or maybe 19mm?

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I broke the nut free by putting a ratchet on it and giving the ratchet a quick smack with a hammer,,,don't laugh, it works !!! :)
you can then pull the gear with the included gear puller :)
The only tool I ever found that fit is the real thin double socket tool that came with BGF kits. Regular sockets were too thick.

I'd like to know how people are removing the clutch after that nut is removed w/o damaging the thread. I already ruined one axle. Wood block seemed to work but it's really hard getting that shaft out.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Do you remember in the film "Sabrina" the moment when William Holden realizes who Aubrey Hepburn is?

"Gee, I feel so stupid..." Well, never mind.

YES! Thank you! When I was trying to fit a standard socket, I tried my regular spark plug socket, and it was of coursew too large. So I never after thought of the kit socket.

EUREKA! It works!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Yeah... those china man's is vewwwwy kwafty. Easy to bend the handle a bit so it will clear the engine casing when removing that sprocket nut.