Does This Have a Hoot?

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I do not believe it is a hoot, but it does have a freewheel sprocket on the final drive which WILL fail. Mine failed 200 yards into the inaugral test drive. I got a replacement transmission from Dax with a fixed sprocket for ~$40. Also, you will want a BIG sprocket on your rear wheel as it is only 3:1 redution.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Actually it could be the series 2 hoot, series 1 has the 5:1 gear type, series 2 has #25 chain @ 3:1in it and looks similar to the one in the E-bay add. the good news is it's not that expensive and you could get the kit set up and save some $$ up and buy a EZM Q-matic, then it will be care free except for engine oil changes.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Actually it could be the series 2 hoot, series 1 has the 5:1 gear type, series 2 has #25 chain @ 3:1in it and looks similar to the one in the E-bay add. the good news is it's not that expensive and you could get the kit set up and save some $$ up and buy a EZM Q-matic, then it will be care free except for engine oil changes.
The gearbox in the eBay ad the OP was asking about is just a single row
chain driven box that is used on many pocket bikes.
They are low quality and don't hold up very well.

Save a few dollars buying that kit but you will regret it later.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I wouldn't disagree with anyone above, but that bike is a deal at the price I saw...
(I didn't look at or consider shipping costs)

Best
rc

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't disagree with anyone above, but that bike is a deal at the price I saw...
(I didn't look at or consider shipping costs)

Best
rc
You did not read the ad.
The bike was not for sale or included.
Not such a great price for an inferior 4 stroke kit when you
have to replace the gearbox with a $140? Grubee 4G.

$280 [$250 + $30 Shipping as stated in ad]
$140 + shipping [Grubee 4G]
-----
$420

You can buy the Grubee 4G 4 stroke kit for $380

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Unusual, I have a HS that came with the hoot GB, internal clutch and a 15MM(+/-) non tapered shaft. The Q-matic fit on mine, I can't tell which shaft is in the motor without looking at it physically. I have no interest(financial or otherwise) except that I run the Q-matic on my 4's and I am extremely pleased with it AND their support. There are quite a few variants of the HS motor out there AND a couple 4G & 5G too.

R/Mac

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
I don't know if it is that great of a deal. Most companies give you a wide crank kit, a chain guard, and the item discription doesn't include the motor mount either. I also seen a few "parts missing" and "used" in feedback.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Well, alrighty then! This thread has been most informative thanks to all you guys. I am now completely off the Ebay 4 strokes and have just purchased a new G5 kit from BikeBerry.

I'm not yet convinced that"you get what you pay for" with Chinese stuff. But after spending bunches of time on this forum, I am convinced the Grubee is worth it. Thanks to everyone here.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Well, alrighty then! This thread has been most informative thanks to all you guys. I am now completely off the Ebay 4 strokes and have just purchased a new G5 kit from BikeBerry.

I'm not yet convinced that"you get what you pay for" with Chinese stuff. But after spending bunches of time on this forum, I am convinced the Grubee is worth it. Thanks to everyone here.
The "G5" from Bikeberry comes with the geared JL Hoot gearbox
which is the worst gearbox for the 4 stroke 50 cc motors.

The "5G" is not a Grubee gearbox and there is no picture of any
gearbox on the Bikeberry website for the kit.

This style of Huasheng 50 cc has an undersized output shaft that
can be shimmed to fit an EZ Q Matic or a Grubee 4G.

Last edited:

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
When I initially the people at BikeBerry, I asked specifically if the G5 had a Hoot gear drive on it. I was told that it did not, but rather had a belt drive.

I just got off the phone with them once again. They told me they got a few G5's at first with the Hoot gear box. After their own testing, they decided to go back to the G4 style belt drive. She said at least four times that the one I would be getting would have a belt drive.

If what they are saying is true, the new G5 has the improved engine and the belt type transmission. The best of both worlds it seems.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news man....but that Bikeberry 5g is most definately not a Grubee product and comes with the Hoot gearbox tranny....save up some money to replace that Hoot with a Q-Matic if you really want reliability or the Grubee 4G tranny if you dont mind doing a tiny bit of work. You can find both by themselves if you look around this forum. Not sure if Bikeberry will let you return but that may be something you want to check into also, then look for something else thats a complete package also.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Yeah, my mistake about the brand name.

Let's see, two phone conversations, three separate people, not a Hoot but a belt drive.

Yeah, they're probably lying.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
The verdict is in. BikeBerry people weren't lying to me. The engine in the kit has a T-Belt primary drive.

Here it is in all it's glory. The new style engine with the T-Belt primary. Most excellent.

Can't wait til it warms up a bit. usflg

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
The verdict is in. BikeBerry people weren't lying to me. The engine in the kit has a T-Belt primary drive.

Here it is in all it's glory. The new style engine with the T-Belt primary. Most excellent.

Can't wait til it warms up a bit. usflg
That looks identical to the Hoot from the pic your showing....have you opened the box up to see the belt?

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
If everything is okay with that motor you should be very happy with it. It feels like much more than 2 HP. and is very quiet.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Looks like my 3:1 gearbox - NOT A BELT DRIVE!

The good news is that your drive sprocket is fixed . The freewheel version self destructs rapidly...

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I took the outer cover off of it just now. Seems it isn't a T-belt after all. It's a double row chain drive. It looks pretty sturdy but you guys would know more about that than I would. I plan on calling BikeBerry tomorrow afternoon to let him (or her) know that I was told by his people this was a belt drive - but it isn't.

Still, my gut says to go ahead and use it as it is. It is after all a double row chain which could give good service. I don't know, you guys tell me.