Do you pedal when riding

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Jumpa, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Jumpa

Jumpa New Member

I noticed ,even though it has no affect on the motor after I get the bike going I still find myself pedaling every place I go.

The only time I do not pedal is when I going down hill I tried not pedaling but if feel much more in control when I do.

It also feels as if the motor is working harder when I'm not pedaling ,even though I know it isn't.

Granted when going under 15 M.P.H. pedaling helps but I'm talking when I'm doing 20 + mph. Does anyone else feel in more control when pedaling or is it just me and my abbey normal brain ? ?

.wee.

2. Jumpa

Jumpa New Member

I did have one of the local police officers say to me a few years ago ..when I asked him about the laws and these bicycles he said "If I see them pedaling I don't bother em"

3. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

can't pedal more than a few turns to get it going or I'd throw out my hip : (

if it won't pull a hill. I have to get off & walk it up

4. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

Once it's started, I usually only pedal on the uphills. Sometimes I'll help it up to speed with a few turns of the cranks after droping the clutch.

5. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Only when I run out of gas to get me to the next gas station....true story.

6. KCvale

KCvale Active Member

It depends on the drive train.

If it's a direct drive coaster brake I may help it some to get going but then I just pedal to position my right pedal at the perfect angle for engaging the coaster brake for an emergency stop and leave it there.

For every other drive train type besides positioning the inner pedal up into a turn I delight in slowly pedaling backwards just to move my legs and freak people out, especially on the electrics hehehe.

I get a simple joy out of sneaking up on Spandex riders bent over giving it their all and whizzing by them dead quiet sitting up slowly pedaling backwards ;-}

7. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

After the engine starts and from dead stops I pedal just enough to not lug down the engine. From there I only move the pedals to position for curves/turns to keep the low pedal to the outside. I'm a lightweight and can actually pull off from a dead stop if I want but I usually pedal up to about 10mph to keep from stressing the clutch then I sit back and let the engine do the rest.

A couple of my freinds 'ghost pedal' when they see a cop or approaching oncoming bikes on a trail but I rarely if ever do it.

Tom

8. BonusParts

BonusParts Member

I pedal until it starts. and only if i need to get going again.

why would i motorize a bike to keep pedaling?

9. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

EXACTLY BP. I ride mine like a motorcycle except to start it. Clutch pads are cheap and easy to replace. I'm too old and out of shape to pedal my fat arse around. I have had to pedal home once or twice with breakdowns. Then REST for a couple hours before fixing the problem. SO NO, I DON'T PEDAL!!!
    usflg IT'S YOUR BIKE, RIDE IT YOUR WAY.

10. Getmore

Getmore New Member

When I see a cop I peddle. But it is hard to see them from the rear.

11. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

It's kinda like pushing an old car to start it.........once it starts, why keep pushing??

12. Intrepid Wheelwoman

Intrepid Wheelwoman New Member

Yes I like to pedal. So far all my bikes have been electric, but once I have my Wu Yang/Solex up and running I guess I'll be pedaling that too. With this illness I have I need to maintain a level of exercise, so I set my bikes up to be 'power assisted' rather than being completely powered on their own.
    It's why I hate driving a car, - it's too passive, - which means that whenever I have to do it for any distance the joint and muscle soreness I get in the aftermath is just plain awful. With riding a bike though the 'lpa' (light pedal assistance) is just perfect for keeping the pain away.

13. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods New Member

Yep. I pedal. After getting rolling it's only ghost pedaling, of course.

But I always do it. And I'm not too sure why. It's automatic.

Maybe, subconsciously, I'm protecting my legs from getting stiff.

That's about the best reason I can come up with.

14. Nashville Kat

Nashville Kat Active Member

I pedal all the time- to start it back up, because I'm always coasting down to any stop I anticipate after killing the motor- saves gas, noise , lets the motor cool down- sometimes a long period if I'm at an intersection long- and it keeps the brake pads from wearing down if I'm down to more of a bicycle speed when I'm coming to a stop-

and if I'm near the store in the parking lot or around crowds, I;m usually just pedalling-

I'm always saying my light cruiser with all alloy and titanium, and narrow 700c wheels, pedals better than most bikes otherwise- and my saddle is set up high enough to do that.

15. phatcruiser

phatcruiser New Member

I pedal when starting out. It saves the rear tire on my FD setup.

16. Huffydavidson

Huffydavidson STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER

Yes I do when I'm riding my newly built racebike.

17. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

That's a pretty good increase in preformance if it were an aftermarket mod/part, why scrimp on the go-power I figure? I pedal most of the time, whenever my gear range allows it & regardless of how much engine I may have and I pedal hard just about every take off (intersection traffic)...

...which is particularly amusing w/my ebike as most don't realize it's motored as well & think I must be some sort of superman :p

18. maniac57

maniac57 Old, Fat, and still faster than you

I'm with KC. I like to pedal backwards just to freak people out.

19. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I only pedal when taking off from a dead stop and when climbing hills.

20. miked826

miked826 New Member

I only pedal when i see the cops. Then I pedal like a circus monkey.

[​IMG]

#20 miked826, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013