Dating an older lady

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Free Schwinn frame has serial number EW800899. Searched all the known sites and no match for the two letter code, but the database search on schwinncruisers tells me it's a 1959. Number is only under the bottom bracket. Is this correct?

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Still trying to figure out what this has to do with dating an older lady?

I thought the thread was going into a different direction, lol. I guess it's Scwinns...

quik225

Aug 13, 2011
Eustis FL
By the number, sounds like a May 1985 build.
Unless you posted the number wrong, it's not a 1959 or anywhere close.
Got a pic?

quik225

Aug 13, 2011
Eustis FL
I don't know sure sure with the info you gave.

First character is the month, second is the year.
This started in 1965. AA would be Jan 65, BA Feb 65, CA March 65, AB Jan 66, BB Feb 66, CB March 66, AD Jan 68, AE Jan 69, etc.
The 2 letters that are skipped is I and O because they too close to numerals, so May 73 would be EJ, June 73 FJ, etc. I know this system was used till 1980, not sure after that.
Assuming this code was still in use after 1980, E is May,W is 1985. The thing that is odd, serial number is on bottom bracket like a pre-1952, not on the head tube like a post-1969. Maybe location changed sometime after 1980 since serial numbers with 2 letters started in 1965.

Before 1965 was different and sometimes you need a date chart to find out.
If it was was May 1959, the serial # would be E9xxxxx, not EWxxxxxx.
It helps to date them by looking at the bikes characteristics, paint, style, model name, etc. And it is possible it is pre-1948 where seiail numbers have been lost.

Need more info or pics.
What does the frame's paint look like.

Trivia, the date code that started in 1965, Chrysler started using the same code for car parts in 1965.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Frame was originally sapphire blue and had a long oval badge ~3"X1.25". Badge is missing. Some idiot painted it with house paint so cannot give more info. The welds are not like a 1980 frame I used to have, these are more direct tube to tube welds with regular fat bead fillings like on aluminum frames. The top tube SEEMS to be smaller than 1" but I could have just looked at it wrong. Pictures later!

Also the piece that connects the seatstays just behind the seat tube is an actual welded in tube with two tiny holes parallel to the seatstays. On my 1980 the frame had flowing tube connections and this piece was just some 1/8" flat steel bent and welded on.

This frame also doesn't have a kickstand built into it. I guess it was a bolt on unit but I don't know, I have frame only.

Last edited:

quik225

Aug 13, 2011
Eustis FL
Why do you think it's a Schwinn?
Lots of bikes had similar sized head badges.
Kick stand and seat stays sound like another make, or if it is a Schwinn, it was made for them offshore.

quik225

Aug 13, 2011
Eustis FL
1967 Schwinn would have the serial # on the left rear axle bracket
Second digit of the # would be C for 1967
Kick stand would be welded on

If it's any kind of Schwinn it will be pre-1948 or non-Chicago made post-1982

Try sanding down the repaint to the original paint too get an idea of the paint scheme. Appearance of a Schwinn helps ID model and the era it's from.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
A lot of times the over paint can be lifted with brake cleaner, on a rag .............Curt
Yep ! Agreed, with CurtisFox... Housepaint, applied to many things over the years, may even be considered a protective coating...
A few quick wipes with a light application of the various solvents will tell if the product can be removed with a rag, or even fine grit sandpaper, without damaging underlaying badges and such. Flush and wipe off well with water before walking away from efforts !
Best rc

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Mmmkay, some pics, I have a Chicago schwinn head badge from another bike which fits the paint outline perfectly. HOWEVER, the 2nd badge mount hole is misaligned by about .040", it's too close to the first hole. Explain that one :)

ewXXXXXX

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Kind of kool i have a Schwinn girls bike, paint and everything says Schwinn except the head badge. It's oval but says Our own Hardware, turned out to be a 48...........Curt

quik225

Aug 13, 2011
Eustis FL
Kind of kool i have a Schwinn girls bike, paint and everything says Schwinn except the head badge. It's oval but says Our own Hardware, turned out to be a 48...........Curt
It was made by Schwinn.
I have something similar. Boys bike, cantilever frame, welded on kick stand, skip tooth chain, head badge says ACE, also a 1948.
Schwinn, along with other bike mfgs, made bikes for atuomotive supply houses hardware store chains.

The OP'ers bike, is probably a Schwinn, a post-82 model made overseas.
The round front fork tubes is the giveaway. The frame is most likely better than the current Wallymart Schwinns since a number of overseas 1980s Schwinns were made in Taiwan, quality was much better than the current slop out of mainland China. At least he got it for the right price.
I say build it.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
a nice middle aged Asian lady then. I hear they keep well. Thank you for the info.

I just sold a bike, so soon as I get a welder this frame is going to get chopped, stretched, lowered, and strengthened.

Last edited: