custom frame cruiser..honda powered

Discussion in 'Motorized Cruiser Bicycles' started by Dagwood, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Had this in another forum ( BT's and vintage etc)..not sure if it should be there..or here..so heres a few pics. my first build...learned alot..now about ready for the second!

Attached Files:

2. Fulltimer

Fulltimer New Member

I don't see any pedals.

Terry

3. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

No pedals Terry..I put a honda on it..didnt figure I needed them. If I had used one of those cheap china engines..I no doubt would need pedals for backup.
    One thing I have discovered however I did not anticipate..the high frequency vibrations Very hiog freq..like ..a barbers clippers on the back of your neck..so yesterday I spent tearing it apart and making antivibe mounts for the engine to isolate the vibes..I used Barry mounts and they worked very well. Smooth as silk now..no tingle butt!

#3 Dagwood, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. LS614

LS614 Active Member

That is a very strange look but I like it a lot! Looks like a blast! What kind of speed do you get with that system? Also, is that a staton box? peace
    -Luke

5. azbill

azbill Active Member

what drive is that ???
    looks pretty stout :)

6. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

It's a Staton "wheelbarrow" 18:1 gearbox configured as an inside drive.

Lance Portnoff uses the same gearbox on his Design Logic bikes.

7. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Yup..I used the Staton 18.75: 1 gear reduction...18 tooth sprocket on the output. 44 on the hub. Gives a top speed of about 16mph....but the key is..the clutch is fully engaged at about 5 mph...so it goes slow real well, without slipping the clutch..which would be a real problem with a higher ratio for more top end. The Machine is not a commutor..but a "campground bike" so to speak...and seldom will speeds exceed 10 -12 mph...its perfect for the mission intended..and I think the Honda/Staton combo will be pretty well bullet-proof. Which was the top priority anyway..cause my wife will be riding it! Since these pics..I re-did the engine mounting, and have added 3 barry mounts to eliminate the vibration..which I really did not anticipate..pics on that in the "mounting section" . Worked perfectly..just about zero vibration thru the seat, bars and footrests now.

8. LS614

LS614 Active Member

very cool, it must be a real crawler with that ratio huh? Climbing any trees? lol Camp ground bikes are great when you're just to tired to pedal so I totally get it :) great job, should last you a LONG time :)

9. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

with new engine mounts and tank..basket and about done...I think!

Attached Files: