Compatible Full-suspension frames

GoldenMotor.com

F73ME

Oct 1, 2012
Louisiana
Hey guys (and possibly gals),
I know many of us want to make full suspension builds, and may not have the time or resourced or will to make a custom frame that can mount an HT engine, so I thought it would be a good idea to list all full-suspension frames compatible with the in-frame mounted 80cc/66cc engines. Anyone who comes across this thread please name the bike frame, and I will verify it and add to to the list. I think this may become useful for current and future members of the forum. The more frames we've got to search for on craigs and ebay, the easier it will be to find a bike! When added, I'll give credit in ( ).

Searching through the forums so far:

Manitou FS 1993 (Ghost0)
2006 Mountain Cannondale Scalpel 2000 (Ghost0)
GT LTS (Ghost0) [*1]
Marin F.R.S. (Ghost0)
Specialized FSR Giant (ocscully)
NEXT Avalon (F73ME)
Ozone 500 Silver Canyon (F73ME)
Specialized Ground Control [*2] (VIKTR)
Rocky Mountain Element [*3] (unknownbmxa88)

Note to all prospective Full-Suspension builders: you will need a robust chain tensioner or a jackshaft kit to use the frame-mounted engine with these bikes.

Notes:
*1 - Only the larger LTS sizes, from models LTS-1 through LTS-5 will fit. (Wild Bill)
*2 - Only the 1996 model will work, in large or xl frame size. (F73ME)
*3 - Only large frame sizes from 2003 or earlier will work. (F73ME)

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
The GT LTS works great but I believe you need one in a large frame size like over 17". Also I dont think the later LTS year models with the curved seat tube will have enuff room.
I think the STS only came with a curved seat tube.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Your bike is gonna be great! It looks like it might be close on a 2 stroke for the carb or a shift kit on the seat tube where the linkage is but it might. If so that would be a great frame to use!

Last edited:

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana
the seat tube is too close for the shift kit, so i had to change my approach a bit. im using a pocket bike transsmission that switches the direction of the drive, so i mount the motor backwards from the way the kits mount theirs, carb first, muffler rear, this allows me to run from the tranny to the front sprocket directly, however i have to reduce the gears and mount slightly different then most because that flippin 4 stroke is about a foot wide...

Keeponkeepnon

Mar 11, 2013
California
Great idea to have a list of frames that have been proven to work. If you could put a link to the build that was done on each frame it would be really helpful too. It would be great to see how unique obstacles were over come with each frame. Sorry to add work to the project.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Dang I wish I could ride a bike like this on trails around here, it's gotta be crazy down-low if I were to, like five mufflers and a cat lol!

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana
Dang I wish I could ride a bike like this on trails around here, it's gotta be crazy down-low if I were to, like five mufflers and a cat lol!
they cant ticket what they cant catch... haha

lucky for me the law in MT is that its not considered a motor vechicle so technicaly i can ride on the trails....for now.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
I use a Specialized Ground Control

*not my picture

*My picture, but I've made a few changes since the picture was taken

sirenson

Mar 24, 2013
miami
the Rocky Mountain Element 2003 or older is the only one with factory disc brakes. does anyone know of any others w disc brakes? does anyone know whats the smallest "large frame size" rocky mountain elements that will fit a china girl? note; i dont use frame adaptors for the down tube. i just compress the bike frame in the area of the motor mount untill it fits. i also grind the engines motor mount a little bigger so i dont have to compress the frame so much. doing these 2 things keeps the motor as low as possible. doesnt seem to weaken the bike at all. im a smallish guy. (5'10") so the smallest "large frame " size is important

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
One good bike for motorizing that has full suspension is the old Proflex 755 series since it has a smallish frame but plenty enough room to fit a CG engine comfortably and the rear suspension has all of it's components behind the seat post tube. The biggest downside to the Proflex bikes is that they are all about 25 years old and hard to find... and they can still be a bit pricy when found in good condition. These bikes also use a girder type front end so going over the bumps is nice and smooth without effecting the hadnling of the bike. I got a Noleen front end off a Proflex bike on mine and love the way it feels and handles, rock solid stable at 40+ mph and it handles awesome...
Was going to show you an ebay link of the bike and found one at a steal of a price... the one I was looking at costed twice as much and it was just a frame and Noleen front end, this one doesn't have the Noleen front end so that's most likely why the price is so low... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-22-...637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fd287535

Here's one with the Noleen front end that's for a fairly decent price... These things ride very comfortable but handle amazingly well.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PRO...412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418dbf7684

And here's a Girvin / Noleen front end with carbon fiber forks in good condition... These are made by Noleen but most of them are labled Girvin, they're the same... The aluminum version costs about half this price if in good condition... http://www.ebay.com/itm/mountain-bi...958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f9bc4226

sirenson

Mar 24, 2013
miami
very very cool bike. but im looking for factory disc brakes. so the mystery remains, anyone know the smallest pre 1994 Rocky Mountain Element that will fit a china girl? or alternative full suspension bike w factory discs. thanks!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The GT LS2 has a 'behind the seat' shock and a pretty sturdy aluminum frame.

The Specialized Epic has a nice rear shock system too.

Ya can't get a 2-stroke in it, but you can put an electric shifter on it with a 1KW battery.

That's the only 2 that come to mind.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I forgot about the LS2.. that bike does have a nice rear suspension setup as well... And that Specialized Epic... it would be rather easy to put a swingarm setup like that on a larger mountainbike frame just by welding in the mounting tabs to teh seat post tube and a pivot point down at teh bottom bracket... if you can find just the swingarm on ebay or other swap meet type sites...

Personally, I'd go with the LS2 for an easy to build without doing any serious mods platform...