Coffman Starter

GoldenMotor.com

Speedster44

Dec 31, 2015
Just as an idea, could it be possible to make a miniature version of the WWII C Coffman Starter for a HT engine?
From wikipedia "The Coffman engine starter (also known as a "shotgun starter") was a starting system used on many piston engines in aircraft and armored vehicles of the 1930s and 1940s. The Coffman system was one of the most common brands; another was the Breeze cartridge system, which was produced under Coffman patents. Most American military aircraft and tanks which used radial engines were equipped with this system. Some versions of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine used in the British Supermarine Spitfire used the Coffman system as a starter."

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Not really.

Coffman starters are basically an air motor of sorts. They use the blank cartridge to provide high pressure gas to run the starter for a few (very powerful) turns. Here is a video of an actual start with the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qrzgbTTcQ

There were cylinder injection systems for starting engines. Both Disco and Prestolite made Acetylene injection systems back when cars had hand cranks for starting. Basically they metered a shot of Acetylene in to the right cylinder, and fired the spark plug. Kaboom - piston spins the whole engine over.

I can just imagine filling a china girl with acetylene & firing the plug - instant grenade.

A relative of the Coffman starter is still in use today - the Air Starter. Very powerful vane type air motors for cranking big diesel engines. Ingersoll Rand still makes them, here is a video of a truck starting with one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSkeDQJU3yc

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
The Merlin also had a windup starter where you wound a spring many, many turns, then let her go. This is something we could make.

Steve

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
That was the old aero inertial starter, where people or a motor wound up a flywheel and then a clutch and reduction gear engaged with the engine and it all started making noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zXkVQnVmuo

Iseem to recall the system being resurrected for som modern/recent Renault.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Yeah, that is it!
Excellent video, lovely airplane. Almost like a cartoon of what a 1930s idea of an airplane, but it was real! What Captain America would fly.

Steve

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I always liked the hydraulic start system myself:

On a mechanically injected diesel you can start an engine with no battery, just pump the pressure up by hand & crank.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Couple of kicks on my pedals and I'm off and running. Make it easier than that and I,ll look at it.

Brucelee

Apr 2, 2015
McKinleyville CA
Just as an idea, could it be possible to make a miniature version of the WWII C Coffman Starter for a HT engine?
From wikipedia "The Coffman engine starter (also known as a "shotgun starter") was a starting system used on many piston engines in aircraft and armored vehicles of the 1930s and 1940s. The Coffman system was one of the most common brands; another was the Breeze cartridge system, which was produced under Coffman patents. Most American military aircraft and tanks which used radial engines were equipped with this system. Some versions of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine used in the British Supermarine Spitfire used the Coffman system as a starter."
I ran across a guy in 1965 that was ridding a knuckel head chopper that he had built a starter that took a 12g blank shotgun round to start. He always had a bandolear with 20 shells in it around his left sholder. He was in the North Hollywood CA area