Clutch not returning

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey folks. Been a while, I know, but I've encountered a new problem and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track looking for the solution.

(66cc China Girl, with a clutch roller instead of factory set-up)

The bike's been running fine, until recently. Over the course of a couple of trips it's gone from fine to where the motor isn't engaging when I let the clutch lever out. It looks like the clutch arm isn't returning to the outer-most position when the lever is released, so the motor isn't engaging. I had a little success with it by letting out all the tension on the clutch cable from the adjustment points at the motor and the clutch lever, however I can push the bike with the lever out and there's no resitance from the motor trying to turn over. The clutch arms range of motion is suddenly very sloppy (to the inside), to keep the cable tight the arm is swung too far in. In one of Norm's threads I've read about adjusting the tension on the spring that surrounds the shaft internally (not the one under the clutch cover), and am thinking that might be it. I'm thinking of trying to adjust that next.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
This probably isn't what's happening to you, but...

I installed my clutch cable without a spring against the arm, and with just the tiniest amount of tension against the arm. I recently replaced all my cables and some of my controls, so I put the spring on and set it up with a tiny bit of slack (1/8" or so) and now my clutch arm vibrates up and then rests on top of the bucking bar, making it loose as you are describing. The only clutch roller I've seen sits on top of the clutch cover, and so pulls upward on the arm. It may be pulling the arm out of the cover when it's disengaged.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
So.. I pulled the clutch cover and plate, cleaned the pads and the plate up to make sure they weren't greasy, and reassembled it all. I reset the flower nut, then fine-tuned it by roll-testing and tightening a notch or two at a time until the wheel didn't turn.
Since I had it apart anyway, I replaced the clutch cable. The one I'd been using had gotten a little thin at the cable stop due to the cable fraying out anyway. Once everything was back together the clutch arm sits a bit farther inward than it has before, but the motor seems to engage fully now, and disengages too (at perhaps a third of the lever's over-all pull distance).

Had a good test ride up and down the back lane a few times and it seems to be working again (for now).

I am still wondering about that inner spring though, and if it might need a tweak as well. I'd like to be a bit more informed before I tinker with it. ;)

Last edited:

Cycloptishred

Mar 30, 2012
Eugene OR
I'm having the problem where the tension in the clutch arm gives at the point where its barely disengaged. So now I have to bend down and push it out manually if I don't want a lot of drag when pedaling.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you guys lubricating the cam in the cover, the bucking bar (pin) and the ball bearing behind the pin? All of these parts need to be greased.

As for the arm lifting out of the cover, there is supposed to be a small, 3/32" diameter pin in the cover that keeps the cam from lifting out. It is not uncommon for that pin to come out and without it the cam can and will lift up.
Some of those pins were epoxied in and some were peened. If yours is missing you can make a new one from the shank of a 3/32" drill bit. Either glue it in with epoxy or make it short enough that you can use a small sharp punch and peen the edges of the whole so the pin won't come out.

That pin keeps the cam in but if you rotate the cam about 180 degrees it will lift out past the pin. The pin holds it in when the arm is in the normal, rear facing position.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I went over it again today, not sure if it's fixed now but I replaced the arm. (more info and pics here). The old one had some wear on the edge, so it might not have been doing the job well. Repacked everything with grease and the clutch arm is much closer to where it should be when the lever's released, and it feels like it's being pushed back far enough to engage again. It responded well to a test run up and down the lane, so I'll see what the 'daily commute test' shows tomorrow.