Clutch Cable Questions.

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by sniperxfire, Sep 29, 2013.

1. sniperxfire

sniperxfire New Member

Does anyone know if i can use a bicycle cable as a clutch cable?

My clutch cable is too long and also, the wire inside is messed up.

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

Sure, but be sure to lube it well and solder it well at the point at which you will need to cut the inner.

3. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

I use bike cables all the time. I try to get the bigger heavy cable for the clutch. there's a lot of pull pressure on that cable. and crassius is right, soldering where you cut it will keep the strands together.
    fatdaddy.

4. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Soldering is a great idea, unless, you use stainless steel cable. Lead solder won't stick to stainless. Be sure to clean the cable with a good degreasing solvent and use flux to assure good penetration into the cable strands.

Tom

5. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

That is very true and an excellent point Tom, made that mistake with a stainless cable myself....lol!

Map
    .wee.

6. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

I use Jagwire bike cables. they make a compressionless cable that's a thousand times better tham the mushy kit cables.

If you buy a cable from a bike store, you can get little crimp on ends to keep it from fraying. they usually give me a couple free if you ask nice.

Side note, you can't solder stainless cables but you can weld them. i zap em with my miller and you can make little throttle cable ends.

7. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

Cutting a clutch cable down isn't hard to do. I've done a few with a dremel cut-off disk, the metal tip for the cable housing pulls off pretty easily and slides on to the cut end without a lot of hassle. A quick squeeze with the pliers is all it takes to keep it in place.

Regular bike cables work well, also. I modded one to to the job some time ago.

8. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

Also keep in mind that there are bicycle "brake" cables and bicycle "shifter" cables (the two should never be interchanged with each other.)

Anyway, I'd recommend that you use a bicycle brake cable as a temporary or "inexpensive" replacement for your motorized bicycle kit clutch cable.

#8 FMB42, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013