1. I Love My Bicycle

I Love My Bicycle New Member

I understand that the choke is supposed to be up when starting the engine.

When do I lower it? When the engine has warmed up?

And how much to lower?

Thanks.

2. Ghost0

Ghost0 New Member

I will lower mine within a minute, depending on how cold it is I may run with half to 3/4 choke for a few minutes and then all the way down.

3. I Love My Bicycle

Thanks.

BTW, what the heck is the purpose of a choke?

4. Ghost0

Ghost0 New Member

When an engine is cold and has been sitting you want to create a rich or excess fuel condition for starting. The choke does exactly that, it chokes your engine from getting the correct amount of air creating a rich fuel condition. This ensures that fuel gets to the combustion chamber.

5. I Love My Bicycle

Perfectly clear. Thanks.

6. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

Put the choke up and start it and after a minuite put choke down.

7. aspireonescs

aspireonescs New Member

is it only me or does this happen to anyone else? when i ride my MB all of a sudden it will start surging and losing power, when i stop to check it out i find that my leg brushed the choke lever and put it on (all the way up) any ides on how to fix this? i was thinking of just taping it down as i only use it to kill the motor, and i always have a roll of tape in my bag

8. jcchappy

jcchappy New Member

if you take the air filter off you will se a nut that holds the choke lever on. tighten it up a bit. my MB would actually vibrate the choke into the on position till I done this. The nut will make the choke action a little tighter but then the choke lever will stay where you put it. It doesn't take much tightening though. just enough to make the lever stay where you put it.

9. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

the so cal mod, made popular by Norm from Venice Motor bikes, is to hook a rubber band to the choke lever, and then to the motor mount or something. it's classic old school ghetto-tech.

or just tighten it.

i was having a similar problem. i had an aftermarket petcock on the gas tank, and it stuck out at a weird angle. i used to rub my knee on it and shut the fuel off while i was riding.

10. aspireonescs

aspireonescs New Member

tightened it, still same thing is happening, im thinking its a airflow thing thats doing it cause i just came back from a ride with my legs far away from the motor and it still came on. LMAO @classic old school ghetto-tech. rubber band time it is :) thanks bairdco i dunno why that diddent come to mind lol

11. john_the_great

john_the_great New Member

Had the same prob... tightened the nut and then put thread locker on it. Finally upgraded carburetor, Recommend CNS carb!

12. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

If yer carb has a tickler/primer you could prolly get away with just removing the choke entirely. I've not actually bothered as I've not had problems w/it - but I also never use it despite ridin' all winter in Maine.

13. aspireonescs

aspireonescs New Member

where do i find the cns carb? or could ya give me the specs, intake size and i can look around?

14. john_the_great

john_the_great New Member

Here's the carb! The reason i think it is cool is because it actually has an idle circuit and an idle mixture adjustment.

CNS carb