Chain tension

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Ok guys, Rode yesterday after a good preflight, and noticed just now that the drive chain from engine to rear wheel was tight. So I readjusted the chain follower and got the correct tension etc. I was spinning slowly the rear wheel and watching the chain and it would go from tight to lose. What the heck???? The dropouts are in proper position so what gives? The gear off the engine could not be warped could it? Now I did not check the rear sprocket so could it be out of alignment? I will check that but hate to ride thinking I could toss a chain. Ok that is the problem, answers please. lol Thanks gphil

:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gary,
Your rear, driven sprocket is not centered on your hub. Remove the chain, suspend the rear wheel and spin it. You'll see what needs to be done or which way the sprocket needs to move to assure it is concentric with the hub.
Good luck

Tom

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Yes, I would say your rear sprocket is not centered on the hub. An off-centered sprocket will definitely make the tension go from loose to tight. Also, are you using thestock tensioner? If so, you might want to replace it with one of these:

Mounts to the engine and is easy on the chain. You can get them right here. Contact Turbobuick1 here on the forum. Only $40. One of the best purchases you'll ever make.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Thanks fellas,,,,,, Already have a spring loaded tensioner. Tom. sort of thought that and hate it. All is true but will pull chain tomorrow and check again. Dark here or getting that way in Ga. The rag joint is touchy, mine even had different thicknesses of the old tire etc. Got her true latterly but could of pulled out of true from riding. No problem this is what the hobby is about. Those hub adaptors sure look nice though. Thanks gphil

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Thanks fellas,,,,,, Already have a spring loaded tensioner. Tom. sort of thought that and hate it. All is true but will pull chain tomorrow and check again. Dark here or getting that way in Ga. The rag joint is touchy, mine even had different thicknesses of the old tire etc. Got her true latterly but could of pulled out of true from riding. No problem this is what the hobby is about. Those hub adaptors sure look nice though. Thanks gphil
DARK?!? We have about 2 more hour o' light, brother!

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
He guy,,,,,,, I know but old and lazy here lol. Did not get my 15:00 hr pwr nap. Wind down time. Thanks guys much appreciated. gphil

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The rag joints work well but the rubber can compress against the spokes over time and allow the sprocket to move. Checking the tightness of the sprocket fasteners should be part of your "preflight". If you have access to a torque wrench, all the better. Torque them to 50 to 60 inch pounds AFTER you get the sprocket centered and check them every couple of hundred miles.

I use a pointer attached to the frame to indicate the exact out circumference of the sprocket teeth. Spin the wheel and watch to see where the pointer is in conjunction to the teeth. That will tell you which way the sprocket needs to move. You can slightly loosen the fasteners and tap the sprocket teeth with a plastic hammer or use a block of wood so you don't damage the teeth, and tap the sprocket into position, then retorque the fasteners. You'll also need to watch for a wobble, side to side. Try to keep things as close to perfect as you can get it. The truer that sprocket spins, the better. Roller chains like things aligned and centered.
Good luck.

Tom

Last edited: