Chain problems

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by lilffihn, Oct 21, 2009.

1. lilffihn

lilffihn New Member

i need to shorten my chain because it is too long to fit around the sprocket and such......need help please thanks...

2. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Lilffihn,
    You'll need a tool called a 'chain breaker' or do like many of us do and remove links the old hard way by grinding the pins and punching them out with a hammer and a punch. I do not own a chain breaker and I've heard that the cheaper ones found at Walmart do not stand up to the task. A good motorcycle, and some bicycle shops will be able to do the job for you but you'll need an exact measurement, or take the bike to them to do the work.
    The chain is called a 'roller chain' and unless you purchase a 'half link' you'll need to remove two links at a time, not just one. The master link requires two identical rollers. sort of a male/female thing, like a garden hose, to join the ends, if that makes sense. Hope this helps. If not get back to us and we'll try to get you going.
    Tom

3. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

My $5 chainbreaker from walmart is still working good,for that price i could buy 2 0r 3 of them. and they come with a extra master link.

4. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

o_O IF yer talkin' about regular bike chain - yeah it's fine and the link is handy, but if yer talkin bout the chain for the engine that extra master link wont fit and the Walmart breaker failed me on it's first attempt - it's far too small for the 415 chain supplied with these kits let alone the upgraded 41 chain, it can work but it doesn't seem worth the trouble even at only $5. The drive pin doesn't align with the chain's pin (it's for regular bike chain) and the alloy the breaker is made of is substandard, the first is frustrating - the second ends any further attempts lol;

To quote myself from another thread :D;

#4 BarelyAWake, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. saulsvilleb

saulsvilleb New Member

I found a heavy duty chain tool made for the bigger chain at Habor Freight for about $12.00

6. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

Yep - good tip! But as we not only carry that tool where I work, we're a "tool warehouse" outlet as well - as such Harbor Freight is our nemesis, I might get tarred & feathered for such sacrilege :p

I suppose that also means I have no excuse for not havin' the proper tool... *sigh*

7. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

If you only need to shorten a chain, you can also cut a link with a grinder, or use a punch & a vice.

8. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

the chain breaker i bought from walmart did fit my 415 chain and it comes with 2 master link sizes and one of them does fit the 415 chain. the pin lines up perfect with my chain and i used the breaker atleast 10 times.

by the way the master link is on my chain right now.

9. Bmetz

Bmetz New Member

Hammer and punch I use with a crescent wrench u derneath for space for the pin to move

10. marts1

marts1 New Member

Couple hits with a punch n hammer works for me. I might be a little hefty but it's rather easy to do.