Chain Bunched, broke through magneto wall!

GoldenMotor.com

knitt31

Mar 31, 2011
WI
Hey all, first post here, and unfortunately it is looking for some help. My jeans got caught in my chain today, causing the chain to bunch in the enclosure, and punched a hole straight through the all between the sprocket and the magneto. Just wondering if i can get away with maybe patching a piece of sheet metal into there to keep dust out the the magneto enclosure, or if this has happened to anyone else? Thanks!

Attachments

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
JB Weld can fix that!
Yep, yep. Clean everything up real good, electronics parts spray or spray carb cleaner. Wear saftey glasses if you have to look at it or turn your face away. Looks like all you'd have to do is push the broken piece into the hole and apply the epoxy on both sides, kinda butter it on. The JB Weld shouldn't run but keep an eye on it for like 15 minutes, it will set-up but wait until the next day to use it.

Should be no problems from then on....unless you catch your pant leg again ;)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I didn't see the unbidden answer, so I thought I'd ask the question: How's your leg? I figured, since no great fuss was made, you must have come through things okay. But I thought I'd ask.

These fellows offer great advice for repairing the bike. I'd like to offer some for avoiding repairs to your body: you may want to wrap your pants with something or tuck them in your socks. I know it doesn't look too macho, but not all hospitals have great food.

Ride safe. The world needs more MBers.