Chain Breaker

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by lilffihn, Oct 24, 2009.

1. lilffihn

lilffihn New Member

ok im almost done with my project....the las thing i need to do is get the chain fitted right.......well and get gas but w/e.....i need to know where i should get a chain breaker from that will work on the 415 chain.....will the park tool ct-5 work?????..what site should i get it from?????? thanks i really want to ride but i can't until i get this done....

2. Buddy

Buddy New Member

You don't need a chain breaker. I just use a small socket slightly larger than the pin to set the chain on, then pound the pin until it's flush with the chain and use a punch to knock it the rest of the way out.

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Lilffihn,
    Not all of us use a chain breaker. Some, like me, grind the ends of the pins flush with the cheek plate then punch the pins out, some simply punch without grinding. Either way works eliminating the need for a tool. Remember that with a roller chain you'll need to remove two links to get the master link to work. It requires two rollers on the ends of the chain. Hope this helps get you on the road. Now go get some gas, mix it at 20:1 and ride. Get back to us with the results, and pictures. Ride careful and have fun.
    Tom

4. lilffihn

lilffihn New Member

k but i dont have a grinder so i could just take like a nail and just pound the out of it?

#4 lilffihn, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  5. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

walmart has a chain breaker for $5.

6. mekano

mekano New Member

nail, hammer and some muscle work is good enough...

7. lilffihn

lilffihn New Member

k thanks but how can i get the chain on right now i cant seem to be able to turn the sprocket easily enough to figure out how long it needs to be...

8. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

I think I'd at least invest in a punch. A nail will bend pretty easily, which can be frustrating. I've used a nail set when I couldn't fine the punch.
    SB

9. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I assume you're talking about the small engine sprocket? Pull the clutch lever, & use a flat tip screwdriver to turn the sprocket & feed the chain through!

10. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Also it will turn more easily if you first remove the spark plug. Most kits come with a tooldfor turning that. It looks like a spark plug socket. Or if you have a socket set, find one that fits. Turn the sprocket as you feed the chain in.
    SB