Chain break

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by recumbentbill, Mar 14, 2011.

1. recumbentbill

recumbentbill New Member

This is what happens when you use a cheap bell [from wal mart] chain. Any suggestions on the best bmx chain to use. Other than the chain the bike is performing better than my previous builds. Pulls all the hills in my area and on the flats has a top speed of 33mph

#1 recumbentbill, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Just get a heavy duty BMX chain. (KMC makes good ones.) ;)

3. sputterputtBAM

sputterputtBAM New Member

I was looking at those because it was convenient and reading the lable "Not for motor drive" I wanted to test it but hesitated. Next day I'm getting a exhaust on the honda and next door theres a garage door shop, BING, I believe he was interested in the project enough to help me out, didnt even know what to charge. Charges me 1.50 a foot for 5' (turns out pacing it off gave 7' OAL). Trying to be helpfull he throws in a 1/2 link (doesn't fit BGF heavy chain or 1/2X!/8 coaster brake chain and I can't throw anything that may be usefull out, I'm gonna suffocate in this rat nest. Any how no-name chain yet to be tested.
    BTW one failure is not good science. Get 5 more and report back to us with your survival ratio LOL. Peace

4. recumbentbill

recumbentbill New Member

5. The_Aleman

The_Aleman New Member

Definitely don't skimp on chain. Like tires on automobiles, I feel chains are the most overlooked thing by the operator. Chains wear out quicker than ya think, moreso if they are lower quality or simply old. Let alone if alignment is off and/or you're motorvated. Teflon lube or chain wax aint fixing a worn out chain, but it might get you to a new one!

To paraphrase Norm "Good chains aint cheap and cheap chains aint good!" lol

Don't procrastinate. Check that chain and keep it lubed! Replace it if in doubt.