Centrifugal clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

FlyingSchwinn

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
I have an old Schwinn Heavy-Duti that I would like to put the Centrifugal clutch kit on and need to know if anyone has done it. The kit with the wider clutch housing and required pull start seems very wide. The crank on my Schwinn which I pirated from an Electra to fit the original kit would not be wide enough to fit the pull start and clutch housing.

All of the cruiser type bikes seem to have narrow curved cranks as opposed to the mountain bikes which have wide cranks with 90 degree angles. Are the mountain bike cranks interchangeable with our cruiser cranks? If anyone has done this would you please let me know what type of crank was used in the project. I am on the third clutch lever housing because the pin inside falls out and the lever shaft pops out the top from vibrations. I'm tired of the lever crank. Thnx!

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
when you put in the new crank, was it a 3 piece or one piece crank? If it is one piece you will need to get extra components to get a mountainbike crank to fit like this Sick Bike Parts if it already fits a 3 piece, just get a new crankset.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The centrifugal clutches should have a one-way or sprag bearing allowing you to pedal start without the need to purchase a pull starter. They retain the manual clutch so the bike can be started as usual and can be rolled around with the motor off by disengaging the manual clutch with the locking lever. I have two of the auto clutches and they have the one-way bearing. I have not used them yet but plan to in the near future. .