CDI Fried after 5 runs?

GoldenMotor.com

njbshark

Jul 2, 2009
Oc.Md
Is it really possible to not have a spark after 5-6 runs. I have checked all the wiring and still don't have a spark. I am really annoyed. I finally got it all tuned right and now this. Any ideas?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The spark problem starts at the magneto and ends at the plug. Check to be sure that the wiring connections are good and that the kill switch isn't shorted. If those are OK then make sure your plug wire is contacting the CDI. From there you can just start swapping parts to see if it fixes the problem.

njbshark

Jul 2, 2009
Oc.Md
All the connections are good I sodered them all to start when I was building...kill switch is not hooked up. I am annoyed and ordered new parts. It just sucks that the motor is new and already crapping out.
The CDI to spark plug and connector looks to be a really bad design.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if you have a warranty they might replace your cdi. how do you know its the cdi and not something else like the mag or a loose plug wire,did you use a tester.

njbshark

Jul 2, 2009
Oc.Md
Well.... The warrenty is a funny thing. I was shipped a dented gas tank with a hole in it and it was never replaced.. That company sucks. They will remain nameless as they advertise of this site

The plug wire just pulled out so I reconnected it and make sure all those connections were tight. My best guess it that the cdi is shot. I think i placed it too close to the exhaust.
It has been harder and harder to start for the past 2 days but has only really run 6 times.

njbshark

Jul 2, 2009
Oc.Md
well. Rewired all the connections. All new wires from start to end. It works now.
However, The spark plug wiggles loose. Any hints on that?
Thanks for all you help.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
The spark plug wiggles loose. Any hints on that?
Thanks for all you help.
This is probably what caused your problem. The plug wire screws into the CDI unit. If it is loose I cut a bit off with some wire cutters and I apply some silicone cement on the sides before screwing it back in. Make sure you don't get the silicone on the end where it makes contact.

It is pretty easy to dislodge this while working on the bike. I usually replace my wire with a longer automotive one and place the CDI box under the motor where it is out of the way.

njbshark

Jul 2, 2009
Oc.Md
I realized that too. I have run all the wires and throttle and clutch cable inside the frame for a really clean look. However, when it stopped working I had to pull alot of those out. It was just a pain but a learning experience.
[/URL][/IMG]

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Great looking bike!

It seems from the picture that the plug wire looks a bit short and as such will probably pull out again. I would try to find something a bit longer.

njbshark

Jul 2, 2009
Oc.Md
Thanks. The pic was from before it all went south. I picked up a new sparkplug from the autostore and moved the cdi under the back mounting bracket and hid it better and ran a long wire. I cruised on it all last night and got pulled over twice by the local cops.