carb ????

GoldenMotor.com

snobord28

Jun 2, 2010
Bakersfield
HI Im still new to this stuff I and had a question. I usually ride every day, I let her sit for 2 days and she feels a little different. like it doesnt like to 2 stroke very much and its a little less powerfull, but smoother. Im gonna clean my plug and check if that helps but the main question is, my carb used to drip gas from the bottom when off and I was ok with that. Now no more drips, of gas so am I not getting same amount of gas in bowl due to float mabye sicking or something? Thanks all

.shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It is possible the float valve was being held open by trash and it finally flowed through. The float level can change due to hard bumps but that is rare, very rare. If the float is too high it might not allow full shut off of the needle valve but that too is not common.
These little 2 stroke engines are temperamental and can be effected by temperature, humidity and many other factors that might explain the difference in running conditions you described. You didn't say how much run time is on this engine but they tend to get better with age, like wine, and run stronger and more consistent the more miles they have on them.
Tom

snobord28

Jun 2, 2010
Bakersfield
I have about 3 1/2 gal down and I re-gapped plug it runs good, mabye not 100% Im not sure but good. I noticed at higher rpm's it kinda tops out(like a governer on a car) is that normal? seems like it could have more power somehow.Im gonna order a expansion chamber exaust soon mabye that will give me what im looking for. thanks all

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
get a billet

A little tack and seal gasket seal works well on the screws to keep gas from dripping

generally I've found more oil helps carburetion- start on the high scale and then try thinning from there- better than blowing the engine with too thin.

But also more air- a few more small holes drilled in the plastic air cleaner housing never hurts-

What kind of carb nd motor do you have- the stock carb shipped with most 66cc's was designed for the 50 cc motor and carb complaints like yours are common.

A newer 66 carb was introduced this winter- I don't know if it's shiping with any kits yet, (haven't been here much this summer), but the new NTS 66 carb is available separately for about $25.

It's most easily identified by the new shutoff valve where the fuel line meets the carb- if you have no shutoff valve there, you probably still have the older carb designed for the50cc. So this may be an option-

I installed - a billet intake last winter, and tout it here often- from Creative Engineering and Pirates Cycles about $15. I also got a 66 carb then and still haven't installed it- the older carb works well, and I've not been riding.

the billet may have clearance problems- it lowers the carb- see how close it puts the air cleaner to my cruiser frams? but is a shorter intake with no bend- works really great!

The poo poo pipe really helps the noise level, but I had to cut this one to run under the bottom bracket

Attachments

Last edited:

snobord28

Jun 2, 2010
Bakersfield
I do like that intake, but I dont think it would fit my bike. I think Ill try that hole in air cover, seems like a good idea. Another question I had for you all out there is I tried my clip one notch up(second notch) and it made it quite a bit leaner on the plug as expected.almost too lean I think. The bike ran smoother and take off smoother but doesnt like to 2 stroke/pull. But the bike 2 strokes better and pulls better when its in the 3rd notch but still kinda slips in and outta 2 stroking. The spark plug is oily and black at that notch but I like the way it runs there. Is running it rich like this bad? I dont expect it to run like a dirt bike... but it would be nice. thanks for any input

dnut

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
The new style carb can be identified by SPEED cast into the body and the aircleaner is square and red. My Silver Grubee Sky Hawk 66 from bikeberry.com came with that carb. I don't think functually it is much different than its predecessor. Put the needle clip in the top groove and a smaller (66 or 68) jet in it and it runs like a clock.

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
HI Im still new to this stuff I and had a question. I usually ride every day, I let her sit for 2 days and she feels a little different. like it doesnt like to 2 stroke very much and its a little less powerfull, but smoother. Im gonna clean my plug and check if that helps but the main question is, my carb used to drip gas from the bottom when off and I was ok with that. Now no more drips, of gas so am I not getting same amount of gas in bowl due to float mabye sicking or something? Thanks all

.shft.
It could be that the carb bowl gasket has swelled up from contact with the gas. Sometimes this will stop the drips.

My latest bike had only about 2 tanks run through it, and when I got it I went to 32:1 and started riding it hard. Hard meaning, wide open and then slow down to 5mph or so, then wide open again etc. I also ran hills to help seat the rings. It's quieter and runs twice as good as when I started, and tops out at about 35 mph.