Car carrier for motorized bicycles - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Nougat, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I really need to get some way to transport at least one of my MBs safely in my Saturn L200. I don't have a hitch, so a hitch rack is out, but a trunk lid rack would work nicely.

Thing is, all the reviews I see for various trunk lid racks tend to say they're unstable, that bikes fall off of them, that they're worse at highway speeds - and this is with regular bikes, not motorized ones.

Any recommendations for racks? If I have to, I can fold the seat down, loosen the bar neck, and get it in the trunk, but it's really hard to do that without destroying things.

2. MaxPower

MaxPower New Member

Re: Car carrier for MBs - recommendations?

Trunk mounts work for me :) just tie it down really tight.

Attached Files:

3. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Whatever you decide, I would have to say that under most circumstances I'm sure putting it on the roof is a bad idea.

4. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

I always use some yellow polly rope that is about $6 at walmart and use the rack as a guide for the bike to be located on and tie the bike off to the trunk hindge area or window/door post,,I figure if they come off the car is too rusty to carry a bike(and the rain will come in cause the top went w/the door post,lol) .Seriously a 50 foot is enough for some fancy rope tieing,I like braded not twisted rope,ignor the fid directions in/on the package beacause you want strong connections/knots ,and remember where you tied the last knot ,When your done un-tie all the knots coil the rope and store the rope in the trunk where it is out of the sun

5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

I use a bike carrier that mounts to a trailer hitch. It costs more but works really well.
    As Corgi said, don't rely only on the straps that come with the bike carrier. Add extra rope or straps of your own.

6. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

I have a trailer hitch one as well as trunk mount ones and tie off both to the car,just to be sure

7. AslansMonkey

AslansMonkey Member

I use a Yakima brand rack that attaches to the trunk. Mine's an older model but comparable models are going for about $100-$140 on Yakima's web site. These racks attach at six points with straps and despite what you've heard, are pretty darn rock solid. I've carried two motorized bikes with mine, though that's probably pushing it a little.

If it's appearing unstable, it's not strapped on properly or is a cheaply made rack.

8. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

I don't know the straps on yours but around 2000 I had a trunk get away from me and slam shut from about 14 inches two regular pedal bikes and the strap went ,so I would think a good pot hole would do the same ,thats why I believe in ropes and solid car tie points

9. Nougat

Nougat New Member

While I was out yesterday, I bought a Yakima 3 bike rack, six straps, on clearance for $60 (from $90). It has rubber "nests" for the frame to rest in. My cruiser is a very tight fit - I actually have to put one of the rack bars under the back of the seat, and lean the seat post against the nest - but it is definitely rock solid. It'll carry both of mine for sure.

10. "the prussian" Shop Dogs

I just dont trust the strap on racks, ive had five or six different kinds over the years ,and there only as good as your attachment that day. I always replace there straps with ratchet straps and drill out any rivets and replace them with bolts as this seems to be the routine point of failure. I also steer clear of the plastic knuckles for arm adjustment as these strip out quickly. Remember an mb is like two reg cycles at least.

11. Russell

Russell Active Member

If you do nothing else, use rope to secure your frame to the carrier. Also a rope to tie it to the trunk hinges. Safety for others driving behind you!

12. GEJoe

GEJoe New Member

I have had a Graber bike rack since 1993 and have only had to repaint it once, otherwise works great. I paid about $60 for it back then, but now it seems they are even cheaper, see website: Graber Bike Rack

13. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

My home made rack should be ready for paint by tomorrow afternoon. I'll post some pix.
    Tom

14. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Finished and painted.
    I took a bike for a trail run this afternoon and it did fine.
    The tilt feature makes loading and unloading easy. Better than muscling a motor bike up on the rails. Just roll it up, the rail tilts to level and then ad the tie-down straps.
    Tom

Attached Files:

15. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

A great adventure last week;
    I just was given 10-12 bikes out of a barn,none really old ,but some schwinn and other girl frames w/the curved lines,anyway ,put the trunk carrier on the back of the sentra added 3 bikes to the extentions and 3 on the trunk leaning on them ,louped the rope through the car at the front doors and piled the rest on top and tied them to the loupe of rope .
    Then I tied the top ones off to the front bumper and tied from left side top ones around the ones on the carrier to the right side ones and a second rear tie offthrough the two door ways.
    Had to retighten the rear rope after 8 miles,rear bikes settled I guess(straps held ,Lucky)then got on the Hi-way for the last 18 miles and nothing moved on the last leg of the trip.
    100 foot twisted polly rope .110 work load(I think) $5.98+tax at wally-mart.
    As the man said "give me a lever big enough and I can move the world"

16. corgi1

corgi1 New Member

That is a very nice looking bike rack and the bike is sharp,looks comfortable to ride. xct2

17. Russell

Russell Active Member

Thier is not much differance between you carrier and mine but the bike is SUPER DUPER!

18. "the prussian" Shop Dogs

Very nice design tom , not gona run it on the tee bucket :)
    Nougat if you have something like toms rig in mind i'll be happy to help you fab one
    Corgi thats one of my favorite quotes of all time.
    " give me room to stand,a lever large enough to place it on , and i can move the world" Archimedes.

19. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

I have used a strap on trunk mount one for the last few yrs. Got it for $5 at a church thing. Took a 70 LBs MB to MD and back to CT. I was worried but holds a HF build just fine too. I take good care to tie it down well and use extra lines. Rides in the trunk for those garage sale finds and break downs. I just put a hitch on my car so have been thinking what would work best.

Tom, that is awesome! Oddly, right on time too. How did you swivel?

One thing about the trunk-strap ons. Major pain to pick up HF builds and guide it on. By your self, rather a chore

#19 Dan, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  20. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Dan,
    The swivel/tilt is accomplished by having a round peg in a square hole. (and they said it couldn't be done)
    The rack has a round 1 1/8" steel rod that slides into the square tube that attches to the bumper. A 5/8" hitch pin inserts through the holes and is held in by the spring (tractor) pin. Pull the hitch pin and the rack rotates to the left allowing the bike to be rolled on or off.
    I use three nylon tie down straps with friction buckles. One on the front fork, one at the seat post and the other to the left rear chain stay. The straps are anchored to cargo tie-downs inside the pickup bed and the vertical upright support of the rack.
    Hope this and the photo explain it.
    Tom

Attached Files: