Cantilever Tanks

Discussion in 'Motorized Cruiser Bicycles' started by David D., Dec 31, 2010.

1. David D.

David D. New Member

Does anybody know of a reasonably priced in frame tank for the std schwinn cantilever frames? Saw one aluminum one awhile back I think... was over $200 though.... any help? David

2. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger New Member

Unfortunately.....Any in frame tank you find is going to be custom made (hand built) and is going to run around $200.00.

3. fishguts

fishguts New Member

And that is very inexpensive for the amount of work involved. I have that much in the tank I built myself.

4. joabthebugman

joabthebugman New Member

5. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

These tanks are not going to be cheap. Also with our economy going the way it is I don't see any miracles in our future.

6. David D.

David D. New Member

my background is manufacturing...

7. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Even if you build a factory how are you going to get your money back with supply and demand where it is?

8. David D.

David D. New Member

I have designed and built many products and fully understand costing , production, and marketing..... was why i was curious about the absence of a good reasonably priced tank for such a widely used bicycle in our industry....that's all..... David

9. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

http://motorbicycling.com/f23/custom-gas-tanks-25802.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f23/custom-fuel-tanks-coming-soon-26125.html

This subject seams to get brought up every two weeks.:rolleyes: With the same answer. I mean I don't want to stop you. Jump into the market and getter dun! Why don't you? You can do eeet;)

To me what I want to say is all I hear is hype and no action. I will believe it when I see it. It has not happend and one has to wounder why?

10. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I concur with Goat.... If you actually build them, they will sell! ;)

11. David D.

David D. New Member

I have no interest in building them.... read my post again....

12. David D.

David D. New Member

I just wanted to buy a couple without having to eat cup-o-noodles for two weeks :)

13. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Know what you mean David. Bought a welder in part to try and make tanks. Is a bummer finding good ones. I too thought they were crazy expensive but as pointed out, lotta work goes into em.

Today went to a semi local bike shop looking for 12g spokes but they were closed. Any way found a place that makes first-aid, lunch, tool boxes etc. Gonna stop by and see if they or if they could make up some rough ones for me. Bare bones sort of thing and finish them my self. (paint, petcocks and site tube) Dunno. Be kinda cool if the are set up for some thing similar and can make 10 or so up easily. Well, some what cheaply, snork.
    This is their link. American Metal Crafters - Metal Boxes & Cases, First Aid Kits & Cabinets and Custom Projects Really old factory. Kinda becoming a thing with me. Finding and touring them. Have made some great finds.
    Will report.

14. happycheapskate

happycheapskate New Member

Why are there no plastic motorcycle style gas tanks for MB's. They would be cheap to make, and easy to modify for adding vent tubes, secondary/return lines, etc. They could be molded in a few popular colors.

15. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger New Member

It's all relative or perceived value. I would never spend more for a tank than my bike and motor cost.

16. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

My bikes and motors far exceed the cost of the tank. I look for things like real spokes, wheels, disk breaks, custom, exhaust, paint, better alloy frames and all my general tweaks and modes. Simply not available at wally world tho. I strive for as superior a ride I can possibly make, buts that's just me...

17. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

I suspect it would be a (perhaps misguided) safety consideration... One of the things that differs street-legal dirtbikes from their off-road only brethren is a steel tank vs the plastic ones - the thought being that metal is more likely to dent instead of crack in an accident, reducing the likelihood of a fuel spill & the resultant fire hazard on the roadway...

I'll admit it's been a while since I was involved in that sport, things may well have changed given plastic tanks are now not uncommon in cars - but at the time and in the state I was living in, a steel tank was required to pass inspection...

18. scottmanesis

scottmanesis New Member

It is still that way in most states I believe. A plastic tank relegates and regulates you into "off road use only" territory. Although I am sure most peoples exhaust on MB and motorcycles certainly are in that "zone" as well.

19. fundreamer1

fundreamer1 New Member

I just found this post and I am the one that posted http://motorbicycling.com/f23/custom-fuel-tanks-coming-soon-26125.html, And while it may seem like a long time to wait until I get things rolling along, I also needed to see if it would be worth my time to even try manufacturing the tanks.
    It would appear so, I am expecting to be able show some pics soon, hopefully within a couple of weeks, the bad part is that I also have to have surgery very soon and there is about a three month recovery time involved. Barring any complications that should be the only real time delay I have to deal with, so if everyone will bear with me I believe the pay off will be worth the wait. Thanks

20. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Best of luck and speedy recovery FunDreamer. Please let us know how you are doing.