Can I Use This Oil

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by jowens, Oct 28, 2011.

1. jowens

jowens New Member

I was looking around the garage today and found some synthetic blend Pennzoil Marine 2-Cycle outboard oil. I would rather not see it go to waist but dont know if I can use it for my china girl. It states that its recommended for premix and injector systems, so could I use it?

2. jowens

jowens New Member

Well before anyone says it.....I didnt use the Google search bar but did read what I needed to kn0ow on an updated Sticky thanks to Gearnut.....http://motorbicycling.com/f4/2-stroke-engine-kits-same-4579.html......its the last post in the thread this past Saturday.....really appreciate the site and help from everyone here!dnut

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

For the benefit of those who didn't see the information you probably read, outboard motor oil, as a rule, is formulated for water cooled engines only. They typically run at a lower temperature than an air cooled engine therefore the oil might not hold up to the higher temperature requirements and fail. We always suggest to look for a 2 cycle oil specially made for air cooled engines.
    Good luck with your project. Have fun, ride safe.
    Tom

4. rustycase

rustycase Gutter Rider

There are many, many people wiser than I who are very particular about the mix oil they use for their 2 smoke engines.

I am not discriminating. :) I'll run anything that claims it will work for 2 stroke lubrication. Never burned one up for lack of lube. in 50 years.
    I HAVE fouled many plugs using too much oil, though.

IMO tolerances are so poor in a china motor that any sauce will do the job.
    if I were racing??? then I'd probably find a way to run the Opti2 at 100:1.

I'm a genuine, ingrained hack.
    Buy a jug of proper oil and mix the two together... :)
    run it at 40:1

Best
    rc

5. ddesens

ddesens New Member

run the oil. dont look back. It will be fine.

6. Pablo

Pablo Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

Just mix it 32:1 and ride. It won't cause you motor to 'splode under normal conditions.

Indeed it's NOT best to run water cooled engine 2 stroke oil in the China Bombs. But as long as you don't weigh 392 #'s, ride like an arse with roids, and it's not 106°F, you'll be OK.