Cranbrook Springer Forked BTR YD100 Replica Build (without fabrication)

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Pete is spot on about Silver Solder. Beautiful flow at low temps.
Danny if you sure of your brazed joints. Mind you, it's your cranium at stake. Bondo and glaze compound be your friend.
I was visiting Lynne of MBrebel, and one of her bikes gas tanks had this amazing contour. It was a bike she had purchased for show. Metal flake paint and all. 1.5L tank had been sculpted with Bondo. It was Legit as they say.
Tom
I’m definitely looking into the Silver solder.

I feel pretty good about these brazed joints, but I will keep a lookout for potential issues or cracks.

btw Tom, were you telling me not to trust the brake clip that came with my wheel?

DIY bike rack rocks !!! Ok

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The brake strap isn't gripping the chain stay fer beans. But, at this point it is moot.
You got to get the drive sprocket mounted.
Then see how much and where the brake arm needs to be offset to clear the drive sprocket.
I ended up offsetting my brake arm 3/4" with two 90 degree bends to clear the sprocket and center the brake arm to the chain stay.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
The brake strap isn't gripping the chain stay fer beans. But, at this point it is moot.
You got to get the drive sprocket mounted.
Then see how much and where the brake arm needs to be offset to clear the drive sprocket.
I ended up offsetting my brake arm 3/4" with two 90 degree bends to clear the sprocket and center the brake arm to the chain stay.
Tom
Gotcha, just ordered handlebars from pat, Drive sprocket and hub adapter will be next

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Sweet! Didn't know they had Bondo in Texas.
Up here, I bought a 61 Ford pickup in 71, after dark. Looked great until the cement fell out of the rusted fenders.
That was my Hippy truck, being painted white. It offered a blank canvas for my artistic friends.
292ci V8 with crossover manifold, 3spd on the tiller. I once, almost jumped a ditch.
Hung it fore and aft by the bumpers. Took a bit to get back on wheels. Being twenty helped. Fifty years later.
I ain't dead yet.
Brake strap I can make for you, when you give me a chain stay dia. and you need it. Time'l tell.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Sweet! Didn't know they had Bondo in Texas.
Up here, I bought a 61 Ford pickup in 71, after dark. Looked great until the cement fell out of the rusted fenders.
That was my Hippy truck, being painted white. It offered a blank canvas for my artistic friends.
292ci V8 with crossover manifold, 3spd on the tiller. I once, almost jumped a ditch.
Hung it fore and aft by the bumpers. Took a bit to get back on wheels. Being twenty helped. Fifty years later.
I ain't dead yet.
Brake strap I can make for you, when you give me a chain stay dia. and you need it. Time'l tell.
Tom
Lol of course we have bondo lol

a little 320 grit sanding happening this evening

And the chain stay is 9/16” Tom. And thank man !!!

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Chain stay dia. is 9/16" roger.
Bondo, alias Fender in a Can. Had a few friend over the years who could create amazing things with Bondo including mint cars if only for a year or two.

Steve.
Alas, that is why a gentleman was then required to keep a magnet handy.
Myself, that old ford served me reasonably well.

The 1960 Ford Econoline that replaced it was trippy. Shag rug lined throughout sin bin. Alas not for me.
Previous owner wanted more power, and managed to weasel in a 260ci V8 with a 3 spd on the tiller. Linkage was whippy and I was never motivated to sort it out. Upon occasion bloody thing would not got into 2nd try as you might.
Only recourse was to stop on the road shoulder and begin again.
Tom

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Ok, so my motor came in yesterday and the first thing I notice is a missing wrist pin on the piston roller. Have contacted bikeberry for a replacement. The kit also can without instructions. Nuts and bolt and spare parts in a single bag.

I was gonna put the jug on the bottom end when I noticed the missing pin. Last pic shows the side with the pin. Thought I took a picture of the other side also, guess not. I will when I get home

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
So my second problem. Motor looks bad ass but I had to clear the pedal chain and the front motor mount is gonna need help.

Old the biscuit used a solution I might have to try. His is the last picture, another tube.

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy