Building of the Andian

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Okay, it's not quite finished but, I thought I'd put a few images of my first motor bike up here for you all to see. I call it the Andian, since I would love to have an old Indian motorcycle and, since I built it. It's got a Grubee angle-plug head and started out as a Wal-Mart Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser. You can only order it through their website and it comes with a black frame, handlebars and wheels. But, it has some ugly green fenders. I only wanted the frame and handlebars so, it was a given for me.

Most of the bike came from Wal-Mart or Ebay. I've got a few more things to add to it like a different rear wheel (waiting for Manic's rear hub) and a different seat to match the new saddlebags. It's got a horn, working headlight and taillight and an ignition key that matches the fuel tank cap. Since the tank needed a cap with a key, I bought one with the ignition included. Then I used that to kill the engine. With an extra kill button, I decided to add a horn and use that button to run it. I just hope that it never shorts out! =-)

I've got about 750 miles on the bike and the engine has smoothed out nicely. I'm not sure what the bike weighs but, with all the add ons, it's definitely on the heavy end-- so am I. But, it hauls me around nicely, even up hills. I've got a 36 and 40T sprocket on order from Manic so I'll know which one works best, hopefully soon.

Final touches for the bike are to re-paint the fuel tank to match the fenders and make up a logo for it. I think it will be cool. Let me know what you think so far.

Andy

Attachments

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Thanks Joe. That was one of those items that I just happened upon on Ebay that really makes the bike (in my opinion). I'm going to coat the inside with Red-Kote to seal it as it's got a small hole somewhere under one of the brackets and weeps just a little. But, for $25, what can you expect? I just used a bolt at the back of the tank and made a front mount out of steel and a U-bolt.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it. I've wanted to build something like this for a few years. I'd check out the cruisers at Wal-mart and keep thinking, "That could be made sooooo cool!" When my mountain bike started falling apart, I decided to bite the bullet and build one. I started thinking about putting a small 2-stroke on it and happened across this website by accident. I noted the kits and realized that they answered many of the questions that I had in my head as to how to make the engine drive the wheel. I was amazed how simple the engineering really was! What it was going to cost me to try and design something to work with another engine would probably cost me more than the kit I bought! I'm glad I found these.

I was out riding again and I spoke to a few more people about buiding a bike, answering questions is part of the fun of riding one of these things. I've already got another theme in mind. A friend is sending an old MIG helmet over to me from Russia. I've been thinking about using a Russian 2-stroke and building a MIG Bike! That might be cool! Lots of ideas there!

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Thanks Bikebum! Yeah, I can run a whole week around the house here with just one tankful. I'm working up to my 850 mile marker for the bike and that's only since Christmas '09!

I'm about done with everything that I want to do with it but I may still sand down the tank and paint it to match the fenders and put on some custom emblems that a friend made up for me, they say "Andian" in an old script writing. It should look pretty cool when finished.

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
WOW! Some of you folks Really do some great work! This is just one of the awesome rides I've seen this morning while getting re familiar with the forums here.

Unlike you, I can't do any riding in the winter, so I have lost track of the going's on around here. That bike is just too cool. :D

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Glad you like it Cowboy Rider. It's a lot of fun. We were scheduled to go for a ride today but, it's raining so we'll probably just have a work day where we do many of those little things to our bikes that we want to, but they don't keep us from riding, so we keep putting them off.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Where did you get the analog speedo? Did it come with the bike? All I can find for my bike is one of those little digital speedos but since my bike is meant to be vintage looking too the little digital thingie I think ruins some of the look. I've considered using a cable speedo from one of those old exercise bikes but then you run into the mounting issue and also calibration.

rustymullet

Jan 22, 2010
Oak Creek, Wi.
Great looking bike MB Wanabe. I just tried looking for that same bike online @ boxmart as a base for my first build and couldn't find it. Any suggestions?

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Meowy, I got the speedo on the bay. I got it for 22 dollars. It was used but, I took it apart and put some light oil on all of the surfaces. To be honest, it's not accurate when the engine is running as it does jump around a fair amount at anything over 15 mph but, it looks the part when sitting still and THATs what I was after.

Rusty,

I see that Walmart has changed their lineup. The cranbrook Fashion cruiser (like mine) is no longer available. I see that Target has some black framed bikes available but, you might have to order them in online and, that's why I went with Walmart. Target wanted to charge me $80 to ship me an $85 bike! Walmart had it shipped right to a local store for free. Maybe you can find a Fashion Cruiser online or possibly Walmart has one in it's system somewhere.

Here's one on Craigs list for $60 Men's 26" Huffy Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser- New

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Andy/andian, Awsum, I Need To Build Something That I Can Put My Tank On. They Are All Gone Now. Don`t Know Of Any Other Members Buying The Gas Tank. I Still Owe You Some Pic`s. Ron .cvlt1

rustymullet

Jan 22, 2010
Oak Creek, Wi.
Thanks again for the research. I guess I was just diggin the green fenders. Really any black frame bike will get me to where I want to start a build. rustymullet

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
The Bike is an excellent build. Is that a 12 volt system you have on there? You make Walmart Stuff look GREAT!
Thanks Michael. Yes, it's all 12 volt. I took a 7ah gel-cell battery and use that for the lights. It will last me several hours without any problem. I keep it in one of the saddlebags and ran the wires from there.

Rusty, it's funny, the green fenders were the one thing that HAD TO GO for me. That's what makes this hobby so great. One man's green fenders is another man's treasure! rotfl

Attachments

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Okay, it's not quite finished but, I thought I'd put a few images of my first motor bike up here for you all to see. I call it the Andian, since I would love to have an old Indian motorcycle and, since I built it. It's got a Grubee angle-plug head and started out as a Wal-Mart Cranbrook Fashion Cruiser. You can only order it through their website and it comes with a black frame, handlebars and wheels. But, it has some ugly green fenders. I only wanted the frame and handlebars so, it was a given for me.

Most of the bike came from Wal-Mart or Ebay. I've got a few more things to add to it like a different rear wheel (waiting for Manic's rear hub) and a different seat to match the new saddlebags. It's got a horn, working headlight and taillight and an ignition key that matches the fuel tank cap. Since the tank needed a cap with a key, I bought one with the ignition included. Then I used that to kill the engine. With an extra kill button, I decided to add a horn and use that button to run it. I just hope that it never shorts out! =-)

I've got about 750 miles on the bike and the engine has smoothed out nicely. I'm not sure what the bike weighs but, with all the add ons, it's definitely on the heavy end-- so am I. But, it hauls me around nicely, even up hills. I've got a 36 and 40T sprocket on order from Manic so I'll know which one works best, hopefully soon.

Final touches for the bike are to re-paint the fuel tank to match the fenders and make up a logo for it. I think it will be cool. Let me know what you think so far.

Andy
hope you didn't pay to much !!!!! they have that same bike at the walmart i go to !!!! there is at least five on the bike racks $ 86 dollars and some change !!!!!!!!.bf.