Brake erosion

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by jKellym, Aug 19, 2010.

1. jKellym

jKellym New Member

Hello all, I am on day 3 of having gotten this thing running and day 2 of comuting to work on it. Everything is going well, power and top end is low, but i'm sure that's a break in period thing. When I went out a moment ago to go to lunch I noticed a bunch of powder looking stuff around the back of the bike and then on the way to lunch, my brakes were crap. This explains why I'm having to adjust my brakes avery other day i guess. So my question is do they make brake pads that won't wear out as fast? Also, the breaks are supposed to be grabbing the rim and not the tire correct? Bike is a Scwinn Point Beach. Attaching a picture and thanks

Attached Files:

2. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

yeah, brake pads on the rim, NOT the tire.

any good quality pads for a road bike or even a bmx bike should last pretty long. just go to a bike shop and pick some up.

3. jKellym

jKellym New Member

Thank you very much!

4. Nougat

Nougat New Member

The pads that came with my Landmark (essentially the same bike with different paint) are okay, though I did find myself having to adjust them frequently.

This powder you speak of, however, may not be bits of brake pad, but something else, depending on where you're finding it. I'd think that the brake pad material would show up on the back of the seat tube, and underneath the front fender.

5. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

When it comes time to replace the brake pads, look for Kool Stop brand pads.
    They seem to get the best reviews and recommendations.
    Kool Stop Brake Pads