Bmx motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Are there any BMX type motorized bicycles that have been built if so which ones and do you have pics? I wanna build one for my son. I have a 34cc Craftsman chainsaw I can sabotage to create a killer Bike and it would be interesting to build. I have seen the friction drives but I wanna make it like mine but smaller for him. He keeps saying "Daddy I want to ride"!!! He's just too small to ride mine. I love this site and appreciate all opinions and all input. Thanks for all the help.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Re: Bmx Mb?

look for an old friction drive assist motor... many 2 strokes were made.. they mount on the frt tire,. most are less than 30cc.. don't know how old you son is, but it may also be better balanced to his weight....

when I was -10 years old, I had a 3.5 HP go kart that I could go 30 MPH in, and drift sideways around a sharp turn on an old dirt road. because I wasn't really heavy enough

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.

yeah he has the go cart but he wants a bike "like Daddy's" so he can ride with me Lol. I know friction types but has anyone mounted a motor like we do with the 80cc? I would love to know how. I'm not that knowledgeable about small engines so this is a learning experience for me. Thanks in advance.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa

I tried to fit my 66/80 in my BMX chopper ( 20" BMX with 26" roadbike forks and a 12" frt tire ).. it's close but it won't fit.. possible that the 49cc could if it is shorter, but IDK if it is.... otherwise, chop out a section of the top bar where the engine needs clearence, and weld in part of a curved bar from a girls bike of the same size.. same manufacture would be better yet.... the chainsaw clutch could work, but not for long

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.

where can I get a pocket engine? when I search I keep getting the bikes only no engines only for sale. seems like that might be the way to go. Thanks

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008

That picture does not have peddles on it. The pocket bike engines are usually too wide to frame mount and still have the clearance to clear the peddles. If you're going to a peddle-less set-up then it would be cheaper to get a minibike.